12,007 Words, Perhaps Picking Up Steam?


Another day of writing, another headache. Things are kind of picking up, though, and I look forward to writing some confrontational scenes between Darcy and Olivia. For now, here are some choice excerpts:

This explains why Darcy and Fernando hate each other. Also important is the fact that Fernando referred to himself as Olivia's boyfriend, despite the fact that they had never discussed it. She worries that it is because he was acting macho in front of Darcy, and taking something for his because Darcy wanted it.

“I have to confess, I have not always been a freelance travel journalist and photographer. In fact, I used to be steadily employed—at Globetrotting, no less. I was there for several years, and I knew Darcy pretty well during my time there.”

“Oh, I never knew that you had worked there.”

“I did, and they were some of the happiest years of my life. I had many friends there, the assignments were fantastic, and the magazine was winning awards and surpassing the competition. A lot of people said it was because of my work.

“I was particularly close with Darcy’s father, Henry Senior. He was the one that had initially encouraged them to hire me, after reading a the chapter I wrote in "He Didn’t Even Work There: Tales of the Bram Stoker Museum and Other Creepy Happenings Involving Men Dressed As Vampires While Travelling." He rated me very highly, and thought that I had potential not just in writing, but in management.”

“Well, Darcy Junior, his unpleasant and sullen son, didn’t exactly take kindly to the fact that his father was so interested in the career of another who was so close to his age. He was jealous that his father and I got on so well, when him and his father had always had a business relationship, and nothing more.

“When Senior had his stroke and had to withdraw from the company, he named Junior CEO. Believe me, there were a lot of people who didn’t want it to happen. It wasn’t that they didn’t think that Junior had the skill or expertise to run the company—believe me, he does. Everyone knows that he does. It’s more his manner, and his vindictiveness. No one knows this more than me. The first thing he did when he became CEO was to fire me. He was jealous of my relationship with his father, and he was worried that I would one day surpass him at Globetrotting. He owns six magazines: Globetrotting, Globetrotting Gurlz, your favourite, Mode, Through The Five Hole, Last Word on Britain, and “My Child Is My Life!”. Everyone knows that Globetrotting is his favourite. He didn’t want me to be a part of it anymore, so he got rid of me. I still miss working there every day.”



And another hipster encounter:

Please, tell me you’re joking,” Ellie said in disbelief, after Olivia told her of Darcy’s betrayal. “There must be some misunderstanding. I just don’t understand how someone could do something so cruel without reason.”

They were sitting in the (Sub)Java-list Café on Warwick Avenue during their lunch break, trying their best to talk over the sounds of the milk-steaming machines and the chatter of the other patrons. While the very concept of a post-modernist café made Olivia want to punch the nearest child, she had to admit that their sandwiches, quite simply, were “bringing the noise.”

“The way that you see the good in everyone is usually a really good trait, but I’m just not in the mood for that right now.”

Olivia was even less in the mood to be in the presence of, let alone be forced to listen to, the two hipster d-bags who had just counter-culturally entered (Sub)Java-list Café. As is expected of hipsters, both were wearing ironic crocs, sunglasses with only one lens in them, and tiny sweaters with some less-appreciated Disney characters on the front. The two men were apparently having a loud debate about an article they had recently read. The article was called “Maximalism,(Min)imalism, and Temporal Distortion: Emilio Estevez and the Air Bombay Loafer”. American flag happened to think that Emilio had best portrayed the concept of liminality in his character, who was inevitably a representation of the chaotic, pluralistic, and information-drenched aspects of postmodern society. No-shoes argued that it was ludicrous to be discussing Emilio Estevez performance in The Mighty Ducks series, when it was so obvious that the best work of his career was in an uncredited role in Mission: Impossible, in which he had demonstrated the re/post/spacialities of counter-architectural hyper-contemporaneity. Since Olivia’s tolerance of such (tom)foolery was so incredibly low at that moment, she had no choice but to ask them to (sh)ut up. They soon left in a sarcastic huff.



Comments

  1. Ok, "My Child Is My Life!" is possibly the best. magazine. title. ever. Mommy Blogger 2.0 is probably secretly pissed that she didn't come up with it. Don't let Jackie read that part!!

    I also loved how you threw in some ironic postmodern parentheses that made no sense, AND how you threw in American Flag and No-Shoes without even bothering to describe why they would have those names. Word padding at its finest. You had better update regularly from New York! I can't go three days without hearing more about Olivia, Fernando and Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much brilliance here. I am particularly inspired by the random use of parantheses - so much so that I may have forgotten how to spell the word. It's fun to see the skeleton of Jane Austen's timeless classic getting such a wonderful modern update.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment