It's All Downhill From Here, Isn't It?






Just passed the 36,000 mark. Feeling fine. Here's basically what happened today:

“My feelings of late have caused me such agony that I can’t hold it in any longer. I hope that you will be able to end my suffering,” Darcy said.

“Well, I’m not really a doctor… I can recommend my doctor if you need one, his name is Doctor Halladay, and he his writing is pretty neat. Although, with your resources, I thought that you would be able to get one for yourself.”

“Are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you really that stupid? What I’m trying to say is that… I love you. I want to be with you. Please, say that you will be mine.”

Before Olivia could stop herself, several expletives escaped her lips. She was then silent. Deathly silent. How could this be?
“Are you joking? You must have a really weird sense of humour to think that it’s funny to tell people that you quite obviously hate that you are in love with them. Get a life, Henry.”

“I have never been more serious about anything in my life. Believe me, this hasn’t been easy. Knowing that to be with you I will have to endure the mockery of my industry peers, my friends and family, and probably all of London thanks to your excessive willingness to tell everyone exactly what you think regardless of whether they want, or need, to hear it. And you are certainly unfamiliar with the norms of upper class culture, showing up to exclusive resorts wearing a ‘Federal Body Inspector’ t-shirt and smelling of vomit because you had a booze-laden energy drink for breakfast. Your job isn’t exactly impressive to anybody, and you don’t seem particularly motivated to advance in the company. But none of these things matter to me. I love you, Olivia.”

“Do you think that you are flattering me when you say things like that?” Olivia cried. “I don’t think that I have ever felt so insulted in my life. How dare you tell me how inferior I am to you, and expect me to fall into your arms and rejoice at the fact that some rich snob was willing to deface his reputation so much that he would date me?”

“Do you expect me to be excited that you live in the dodgy end of London? That you anger everyone in a five-mile radius every time that you open your mouth? Do you want me to jump for joy that you write the quizzes section of a magazine called Globetrotting Gurlz?”

“You’re the one that publishes it, Henry. I would avoid looking down on it like that.”

“Is that all that you have to say?” he asked, sounding surprised.

“Well, in line with your opinion that I give my opinion too readily, I certainly have a lot more to say. How do you expect me to want you, after everything that you have done?”

“Everything that I’ve done?”

“You should know exactly what I’m referring to.”

“Well I don’t, so you will have to enlighten me.” This encounter was obviously not going the way that Darcy had hoped.

“You don’t remember breaking up my cousin and your friend, and in doing so inflicting incredible pain on both of them? How could you do that? Do you have any idea how miserable Ellie has been since Bigsley left? And she doesn’t even know that worst part of it, that you are the cause of her heartache, because you didn’t think that she was good enough for your friend.”

“I watched them very closely on many occasions. She seemed indifferent to him. I was being a good friend. I didn’t want him to make a mistake.”

“That’s because she’s shy. She barely shows her feelings to me, let alone to people like you!”

Darcy stepped backwards, as if he was wounded by her words. She knew that she should stop and just walk away, but she couldn’t bring herself to let it go. She was the perfect storm, self-righteously indignant and defending the honour of those she loves. Or used to love. Once she started, she would storm so hard that no one would be spared. It was always short-lived, since nothing that intense can last for that long. It's the memories, however, that always last forever. Seeing Olivia's hurricane isn't something that one easily forgets.

“I… I was doing what I thought was best,” Darcy said meekly, as if he was shrinking.

“Did you think that you were acting ‘for the best’ when you acted so vindictively towards Fernando Wickham? I mean, yeah, I am certainly not counted among his biggest fans these, days, but even I think that what you did was too far.”

Now it was Darcy’s turn to be angry. Olivia had apparently struck a nerve with her latest comment—or a particularly sensitive nerve, to be more precise. It’s unlikely that Darcy was pleased by how the conversation had been going.

“Too far? Do you even know what happened? If you did, you certainly would not count this among my faults.”

“Of course I know what happened. I had the misfortune of dating him, didn’t I?”

“Well I can see that this is not going the way that I had hoped,” Darcy said abruptly. “I had no idea that you had such a low opinion of me. I’m sorry to have disgusted you.”

“Other than calling me ugly and generally being a pompous jackass, I’m not the person that you need to be apologizing to. My cousin would be a good start.”

He looked into her eyes, searching for some sort of mercy in her eyes; he didn’t seem to find what he was looking for. Darcy turned on his heel and hurried off, because as they say, some things are best left behind.

Comments

  1. Darcy just compared Olivia to a good crop dusting session. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He kind of has a point with the "Federal Body Inspector" t-shirt, although he would be more understanding if he knew the back story (well, maybe). And Darcy was right, that conversation was better left behind - what a tongue lashing Olivia gave him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And is it just me, or has Doc Halladay's arm detached from his body?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. I love Olivia when she starts telling it like it is. She's my newest role model!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaha--"a weird sense of humor"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment