I am feeling one hundred times better about my novel today. Heather and I had a four hour long Skype/drinking/noveling session, where we discussed the directions of our novels (and we even had time for a social justice break, where we wrote angry letters to the editors of the Record about how shocked and appalled we are). I had a lot of fun writing today, and I am now at 8,014 words.
Lucky for Ellie, the camera crew was not in the
bakery every day. The show, “Becoming
(Cup)cake: The (Inter)liminality of Bite-Sized Desserts” (obviously Gordon’s
idea, not Penny Lane’s), shared a camera crew with another MuchMusic reality
show, “Are You Good Enough to House My Child For Nine Months?” a show hosted
former disgraced Prime Minister Stephen Harper about a weekly guest’s quest to
find a baby mama. Dr. Phil is the
consulting psychiatrist on the show, and Dr. Laura gives weekly sex
advice. While Ellie would have
never supported such a show, she was partly pleased that it existed because it
meant that her life was relatively private for a few days every week.
Trying to learn something that you are
supposedly an expert at is difficult, and Ellie was learning this lesson the
hard way. Since she was supposedly
the founder of Penny Lane’s Bakery, she should have known a great deal about
baking cupcakes. She should have
been able to whip up a batch without the recipe and with her eyes closed, if
closed-eyes cupcake baking wasn’t a major health hazard. An icing bag should have been like an
extension of her body, perhaps like some weird Edward Scissorhands baking
incarnation.
But no, she was not Ellie Icinghands. She was Ellie Abbott, and she had once
burned a no-bake cheesecake recipe.
Luckily for her, Penny Lane was so adept at
baking cupcakes that she rarely did it anymore; she was able to delegate the
task to others. Others like Mick
Tatum, one of her more handsome employees. His strong jaw sent a shiver down her spine, and his
gorgeous dimples could have formed their own swimming pools that she gladly
would have dove into and splashed around in. Together they would swim in those dimples, like two dolphins
in the ocean of their hearts. One
time when Mick had spilled some cupcake batter on his shirt and had removed it
to put on a new one, Ellie had caught a glimpse of his glorious, glorious abs,
on which she could have grated cheese on them to make a nice polenta
lasagna. His money lines were so defined that…
well, in light of the fact that Ellie is technically Mick’s boss, it would be
inappropriate to finish that sentence.
He did not seem particularly smart (but do you
really need to be if you look like that?), so she hatched a plan to trick him
into teaching her how to bake cupcakes.
“Mick,” she began, going with the sudden stroke
of genius, “I am now going to test you to make sure that you are doing your job
correctly.”
“What?” he asked, confused. He was confused often though, so it
wasn’t exactly a change of pace for him.
“I have been reading a lot of books lately
about, uh, leadership,” that seemed plausible, right? “and they encourage you
to teach through teaching. If you
teach me how to bake a dozen vanilla cupcakes, I can evaluate you.”
“Okay,” Mick said, trying to sound like he
wasn’t questioning Ellie’s methods.
Before he could begin, the bakery was thrown
into pandemonium when suddenly Gordon and some people that Ellie didn’t
recognize burst into the shop.
Gordon appeared to be held by his collar by a cool drink of water who
did not appear to be so cool at the moment. He was surrounded by several equally good looking men who
were probably his cronies.
“Are you responsible for this…vampire?” the
gorgeous stranger asked Ellie. It
didn’t bode well that he was that angry with her when they didn’t even know one
another. Or did they? She wasn’t sure.
“I’m actually a vampyre,” Gordon corrected him
as he raised a single finger didactically. He was forcefully shoved in Ellie’s direction in response to
that correction.
“And I don’t really think of myself as owning
him so much as being stuck with him,” Ellie pointed out.
“Well, whatever he is, could you please keep him
out of my shop?”
“What?
I had nothing to do with him going into your shop,” Ellie shot back
defensively.
“Sure,” he scoffed, in a way that told Ellie
that he wasn’t sure at all.
“You’ve been trying to sabotage my shop from day one. ‘Buns of Steel’ has been bringing the
noise, and you’re just afraid to hear it!” he accused.
If Ellie had just been defensive before, she was
now completely enraged. Who did
this beautiful man think he was, coming into her bakery (well not her bakery,
but that’s beside the point) and accusing her of trying to sabotage his
shop? And more importantly, were
her ears just hearing what she wanted to hear, or was this shop really called
‘Buns of Steel’?
“I’m sorry, but I’m really not clear on who you
are, or what this shop is that you refer to as ‘Buns of Steel,’” which was of
course accompanied by forceful air quotes. “And furthermore, how dare you accuse me of attempting to
sabotage your shop! I am
offended!” Ellie cried indignantly.
“Oh really?” the handsome man responded incredulously. “Do you honestly expect me to believe
that you are unaware that another bakery opened up one street away from yours?”
“Yes,” Ellie said sheepishly, not sure of what
else to say.
“We have also met many times, Penny Lane. I’m insulted,” he said, before storming
out of her shop, his face registering genuine hurt. Even though she didn’t know him, she felt bad that she had
caused it due to her ignorance about what was supposed to be her life.
As Ellie watching the 'Buns of Steel' team leave, she became
distracted by the visual confirmation that the name of this rival bakery was
incredibly apropos. She had never
seen so many scoops of butter pecan ice cream in once place in her life. She wasn’t sure what she had been doing
before this, or why she thought that it was important.
The 'Buns of Steel' crew
I love everything about this but most of all the offense that was taken by all in the situation. I get the feeling that like the Boo-bie! Mansion, Buns of Steele is here to stay and boy am I glad.
ReplyDeleteIt was so much fun writing with you tonight and just like old times. We got angry, we laughed and we complained about stupid people misunderstanding feminism. Perfect!
Hahahahahah “Becoming (Cup)cake: The (Inter)liminality of Bite-Sized Desserts”
ReplyDeleteAlso, double hahahahaha about Ellie Scissorhands. I love the way your characters are so confused about absolutely everything, and they are not afraid to completely fuck up one anothers' lives. Buns of Steel sounds pretty intriguing... loved the healthy number of scoops of butter pecan ice cream. :)
I also love the "Becoming (Cup)cake" line (and everything else in the excerpt!). Buns of Steel does sound like an awesome name for a bakery, with the one drawback that no one would want to eat bread made of metal. Also, very impressed with your use of the word "didactically."
ReplyDeleteI've never seen so much hilarity in one place at one time. Amazing excerpt Katie.
ReplyDelete