After day 15, another long and probably pointless writing session is in the books. I had a little more fun today, hopefully you'll all enjoy this!
Her sanctimonious rage was
suddenly interrupted by Mick, who was deviating from the plan that she had made
for him (in her mind, of course) that he strive to be seen and not heard. He seemed to have disregarded his Penny
Lane’s Bakery uniform in favour of a truly inexplicable outfit. He had previously been wearing a shirt
that he had made for himself that read “The Trash Palace—Come for the Kicks,
Stay for the Micks!,” but he was now wearing no shirt at all. That isn’t entirely true, since he had
put on some kind of vest that seemed to be made of kneepads that had been sewn
together. Instead of his DILF
brand jeans that had previously cupped his bottom in a most pleasing manner, he
was wearing black sweat pants that he had tucked into his long black socks, and
oddly enough, he had saved a pair of kneepads from the vest and had put them on
his knees. The ensemble was topped
off with a black baseball cap that sat at a jaunty angle on his head.
If the outfit was
inexplicable, his actions had crossed the line into the truly bizarre.
Rather than mixing up the
batter to make five dozen vanilla chocolate swirl cupcakes, he appeared to be
hip thrusting towards the floor.
Sexy music was suddenly blaring, and he was touching his chest in a way
that even Ellie had to admit was seductive. It was clear that he was looking good, but what was less
clear was why.
“I don’t want to be overly
critical,” Ellie began gently, “but what are you doing?”
Mick seemed startled, as if
he had thought that he was alone. This
was strange, since he had been talking to her only moments ago. When had he changed his clothes? When had he begun his sexy dance? Her heart sank as she realized that it
had probably been during her extensive inner monologue about hockey violence.
Ellie guessed that Mick took
the highly original and thoughtful phrase “dance like no one’s watching” too
literally. He hustled over to an
iPod player that was tucked into the corner among the flavouring and colouring
gels and turned off the music.
“I was just,” he sounded
embarrassed, “expressing myself.”
“I understand,” Ellie
lied. She had never had the urge
to cover her body with shoulder pads and thrust into the floor, but to each
their own? She wondered how either
of those things could be considered ‘expressing himself,’ but she reminded
herself that he was expressing himself, not expressing her.
“I just—I don’t feel like my
job is very creative,” he said sadly.
“You don’t think that icing
hundreds of cupcakes the same way is a proper outlet for your creativity?”
Ellie asked, knowing what the answer should be but talking anyway.
“Oh no, that’s plenty
creative. I make each one a little
different,” he said, smiling to himself.
“Yeah, you’re really not
supposed to do that,” Ellie responded.
“Oh. Well, that wasn’t what I was talking
about anyway. It’s my other job, where
I design furniture. It feels like
every jerk who ever decided he is artistic and sensitive and has taken one shop
class thinks that he can be a furniture designer.”
“I know what you mean. Am I supposed to be impressed by this?”
“They want you to be, that’s
for sure. I’m so tired of being
one of them.”
“Well do you have to be?”
“Icing cupcakes at a bakery
doesn’t exactly pay the rent, Penny Lane.
No offense.”
“Does your landlord not
accept the stale cupcakes that I let you take home?”
“No.”
“Their loss.”
“Not really.”
They both stood silently for
a moment, unsure of how to proceed.
“Well, I think that I’m going
to get dressed,” Mick said as he gathered up his shoulder pads.
“I think that’s for the
best,” Ellie said, doing her best impression of what an appropriate boss would
say. If she had the choice she
would want Mick to never get dressed again, but saying such a thing would
hardly be conducive to an un-hostile workplace environment.
Ellie was alone for only a
moment when once again, Gordon and Carson (hopefully) burst into the room
unannounced. They were followed by
a camera crew who seemed to be looking on with delight.
“I told you to stay away from
me!” Carson shouted at Gordon, who seemed a little too pleased with himself.
“And I told you to stay away
from Penny Lane!” he hollered back as he straightened his cape and fake vampire
teeth.
“That was you who left me the
note made out of newspaper clippings that told me to ‘Leave Penny Lane alone or
else’? I thought that it that it
was the crazed Beatles aficionado who calls himself Maxwell Silver Hammer,” he
said.
“Penny Lane considers me to
be something of a father figure,” Gordon said.
“That is completely untrue,”
Ellie interjected. She looked at
the camera, “and I would like the record to show that this vampyre is not a
father figure to me in any way.”
“Teenagers,” Gordon lamented.
“I’m not a teenager! And stay out of my room!” Ellie
suddenly yelled, not sure what had come over her. She shook her head, confused. “What did Gordon do this time?”
“I just caught him doing
donuts on the lawn of the park. I
think that he thought that it was my lawn, since he probably failed to notice
the public park sign.”
Gordon’s face turned bright
red, indicating that Carson’s assertion was probably accurate.
“He tried to peel away before
I noticed him with his finger in the air, but I saw his car and it was very
clearly him. Who else drives a
hearse with a ‘Fangs4Lyfe’ vanity plate?”
“Plenty of people,” Gordon
said defensively. Everyone opted
to ignore him.
“Why were you doing donuts on
what you believed to be Carson’s lawn to make sure that he stays away from
me? No part of that makes sense,”
Ellie exclaimed.
“I overheard you two planning
to kill yourselves like Romeo and Juliet, and then I saw the way that this
troublemaker was looking at you when you picked up your award for ‘guac most
likely to get you drunk’ at the Guac Off!” Gordon said. “I have eyes and ears everywhere, like
a bat!”
Bats don’t actually have very
good vision, Ellie thought to herself, which is why they use echo location to
such great effect. She decided
that this was not the moment to bring this up.
If Ellie hadn’t been quite so
confused and outraged, she might have enjoyed looking around the room to take
in the faces that surrounded her.
Each was similar to what she imagined a person would look like if a
chipmunk farted in their face, but like snowflakes, each one was slightly different.
“Do you ever make sense?”
Carson roared at Gordon, causing him to shrink back into one of his camera people.
“I’m far too liminal to be
translatable from your mediocre frame of—”
“Please stop talking,” Ellie
interrupted what was likely to be a very douchey ending to that sentence.
So brilliant. I loved your careful description of Magic Mick's outfit - when I saw the movie (twice) I was baffled (both times) by that vest thing. I'm glad you wisely shone a spotlight on his inexplicable costume choice.
ReplyDeleteI also loved this part: "Mick seemed startled, as if he had thought that he was alone. This was strange, since he had been talking to her only moments ago. When had he changed his clothes? When had he begun his sexy dance? Her heart sank as she realized that it had probably been during her extensive inner monologue about hockey violence." Hahahahahahahaha
Plus, more Gordon and Carson hijinks. It doesn't get any better!
i take it that is a picture of a chipmunk farting in someone's face (i think one of the actors from Parks and Rec?) - really topped off an amazing piece of dialogue. However, I continue to be mystified about this "Guac Off". Whatever it is, it sounds annoying (because of the use of the non-word "guac") and also amazing.
ReplyDelete