I wasn't having any fun with Penny Lane, so I decided that she is now in danger because of the article that Ellie wrote on her behalf. A group of angry hockey hooligans are now after her and Alejandro.
“Well, now that you know
about football in Spain, you understand what it means that I’m afraid right
now. Hockey fans scare me. Those goons sure do love their hockey
fights, and they will do anything to make sure that no pinko commie lefty gets
in the way of them. Remember that
mommy blogger from last year who waged a war against hockey fighting because
she was afraid that her son who was playing pee wee hockey might start
fighting? The goons showed up in
front of her house every day for a month and fought each other just to make
sure that her son would see it.
Yeah, it was stupid, and yeah, all of them probably experienced some
serious brain damage. But I think
that it only made them crazier for hockey fights.”
“That’s pretty drastic action
to take against a mommy blogger.”
“They tend to be pretty
powerful, and they can definitely be an explosive bunch. If they
feel a threat to their children, however small, they will turn on you in a
second. I’m sure you haven’t forgotten that Paul Martin’s government was
brought down when he turned down an application to give Nickelback the Order of
Canada. The mommy bloggers consider it essential to their children’s wellbeing
to foster and encourage local, Canadian talent. When they learned that
Nickelback had been slighted, they went ballistic and started a chain reaction
that eventually led to Martin’s Liberal party going down in defeat and Harper
winning his first term as Prime Minister. It should come as no surprise that
shortly afterwards, Nickelback got both the Order of Canada and an invitation
to play at the Prime Minister’s home. Stephen Harper knows where his bread is
buttered – he would never make such a rookie mistake.”
“So how did
the mommy bloggers react when one of their own was attacked like that? Did they circle the wagons? Did they get their mom jean-clad asses
down to her house en masse in their minivans?” Penny Lane asked, never having
heard of this strangely powerful group.
“You might
have thought that they would,” Alejandro said, “but they seemed to be too busy
‘commenting’ on one another’s blogs.
I’m using the word commenting quite loosely, as they usually just invite
other mommy bloggers to read their own blog. Apparently this incident wasn’t enough to wake them from
their narcissistic slumber,” Alejandro concluded sadly.
“But what
does this mean for me? Should I
start my own blog to try to appeal to the mommy blog faction?”
“There’s no
time for blogging! Don’t you see?”
Alejandro yelled.
“No, I don’t
see! What is it that you’re trying
to tell me?”
“You need to
get out of town!” Alejandro cried.
“Those hockey goons harassed that poor woman and her family for a month
because of one blog post. She
wrote a rap for some kind of ridiculous competition, and the lyrics and video
of her rapping were posted on the blog.
No one reads those blogs anyone, not even other mothers—they only post
on each other’s blogs with hopes that someone will start reading their
blog. It’s a sad existence, to be
sure. But even that was too much
for the goons. Maybe it was the
terrible quality of the rap—the rhyming was quite poor, and she tried to fit
too many syllables into some lines.
But I think that it was more than that. I think that they have hockey rage, and they won’t turn it
off for anyone. Not even a rapping
mommy blogger. You can see it in
their eyes, that unrestrainable rage that can only be temporarily satiated by
watching some hockey players punch each other during a game. They live for those five for fighting
majors. In fact, I think that they
call themselves Five For Fighting, but not to be confused with the American
singer-songwriter with the aforementioned stage name.”
“I’d better
make sure not to confuse the two.
You’re sure there’s no relation to John ‘Five For Fighting’ Ondrasik?”
“Yes, I’m
sure. Those goons clearly couldn’t
write a song as tender and insightful as ‘100 Years,’ or as pain-ridden as ‘Superman
(It’s Not Easy).’ Not even if we
gave them 100 typewriters for 100 years.”
Before Penny
Lane could tell him to calm down, she heard an angry knock on the door. They both turned to look in that
direction with terrified looks splashed over their faces.
“Did anyone
order a pizza?” a woman called from the other side.
“Oh yeah, I
did,” Penny Lane said excitedly.
It was rare, but apparently the situation at hand had managed to
momentarily distract her from her lunch.
She wouldn’t let it happen again.
She paid the pizza woman as Alejandro looked at her in awe, wondering
how she could put pizza above her own safety. It was easy, she told him. Pizza is awesome.
She was in
the midst of eating her first slice of pizza with tomatoes (of both the regular
and sun dried variety), green peppers, grilled zucchini, eggplant, broccoli,
caramelized onions, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, pesto as well as
extra tomato sauce from the “P, I, Z, Z, A—Gimme Pizza!” pizzeria when she heard
another knock on the door. It
wasn’t even deep down, but rather, on the surface, that she knew that this time
whatever was behind that door was not going to be as pleasant as the pizza that
she was enjoying.

Amazing! I loved the way you interspersed the serious plot advances with the ridiculous mommy blogger stuff. I also think it was a great idea for you to introduce major conflict into Penny Lane's story to give her something to do.
ReplyDeleteAlso, thank you for treating the pizza description with so much seriousness. Sometimes people skim over these important details!
When I got to the image at the end, my heart sank... please tell me that Justin Bieber was not knocking on Penny/Ellie's door!
"There's no time for blogging! Don't you see!" Very glad that Alejandro's astute observation does not apply to you, or I would have been denied the great pleasure of your blog post. Your pizza description made me very hungry. Needless to say, I was pleased to see the mommy blogger/Nickleback references, as well. And I disagree with Indigo. It would be completely awesome if Bieber was a hockey goon knocking on Penny's door!
ReplyDeleteI loved the hilarious combination of describing hockey goons and mommy blogging. Once again a demonstration of your superior abilities to write dialogue!
ReplyDeleteYes! The mommy bloggers return! Please tell me the Bieb is making an appearance in this story.
ReplyDeleteAlso, this line: “There’s no time for blogging! Don’t you see?” The best.