Day 21- 35,547 Words


When I sat down to write today, I was struck by a sudden desire to never write again.  Ever.  I am having more trouble than I thought that a person could have while writing.  This is awful.  But, I decided that I will have to stick with it.  I am going to write 1,500 words per day and finish on the last day.  The end of my novel is going to be incredibly underwhelming.  I have no energy left.
I am going to try to catch up on blogs soon.  Sorry for being MIA for the past two days.
I do feel a little re-energized after hearing the amazing news that Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne are engaged.  This is amazing.  And, it also served as inspiration:


The day had not started off promising: she had awoken to a post on her favourite web site, Person.com, that shocked her to her very core.  It was the news that would end all news: the natural and home-grown Canada’s songstress Avril Lavigne (who was quite obviously Canada’s Kristen Stewart), and the frontman of the natural and home-grown Canadian supergroup Nickelback, Chad Kroeger (now Canada’s Robert Pattinson?), were engaged to be married.  Penny Lane had finally found her Sk8r boi, apparently.  Whoa, Canada!  She hadn’t even known that they were dating!  How was she supposed to process this much terrible music in one relationship so suddenly?  She hadn’t had any warning! Apparently Lavigne, 27, and Kroeger, 37, first got together in February to co-write a song for Lavigne's upcoming fifth studio album. That song would have surely been a summer smash, and as much of a treat for the eyes and ears as a get-together with the soon to be Kroeger.  "A romantic relationship blossomed as they spent time writing together," a Lavigne pal (and aspiring poet?) told ‘Person’ Magazine.  Their whirlwind romance that had blossomed only six months before had apparently culminated on Aug. 8, when Kroeger popped the question, presenting Lavigne with a 14-carat diamond sparkler” according to a ‘Person’ magazine staffer.  Ellie had spent some time wondering if ‘Person’ magazine might be hiring, because she might enjoy getting paid to write beautiful prose like that.  She also thought that she might hate herself too much.
Maybe Penny Lane was just an asshole.  Or maybe she had heard the way that Ellie said Carson’s name, as if she was replacing the “o” with a heart.  Maybe she was jealous that Avril Lavigne had gotten to Chad Kroeger first, and that she would have to go to the trouble of picking another Nickelback member to post pictures of their face above her bed and dream about marrying them someday.  Not to mention the very real concern that Chad Kroeger might not record songs that are terrible and sort of rape-ey with as much regularity.  Or maybe it was just her pathetic idea of a joke, inspired by Romeo and Juliet.  But either way, Penny Lane had forbidden Ellie to see Carson anymore.  She said that she had been watching “Becoming (Cup)cake: The (Inter)liminality of Bite-Sized Desserts,” and that she had been disgruntled by the looks of love that had been exchanged between the pair that were supposed to be rivals.
“Have you not learned anything from ‘Romeo and Juliet’?” Penny Lane had asked indignantly.
“Yes, I did.  I shouldn’t try to fake my own death and ultimately commit suicide out of love for some whiny teenager,” Ellie had responded pithily.
“That’s always a good lesson,” Penny Lane agreed.  “But seriously, no.  Buns of Steel is, as far as I’m concerned, the worst thing to ever happen to Montreal.  So tasteless.  They ruin the baking business for the rest of us hard workers who only want to star in our own reality television shows and get by.”
Either way, Carson was now off-limits.  Forbidden, as Penny Lane had said.  Done-so, as kids these days say. 
Why did the thought of that make her heart stop inside her chest?  Why did she suddenly have an urge to go over to Buns of Steel under the guise of wanting to get rid of some extra cupcakes so that she could really see if the owner and founder lived up to the name, if you know what I mean?  Maybe she could pretend that she was doing a survey of bakery owners, and go over to his bakery to ask him if he wears boxers or briefs.  The front page of the Toronto Sun had just declared that the fiery Italian American Ron Tortellini wears boxers, and she had since spent way too much time wondering if Carson did the same. 
She had come up with twelve different scenarios, each one less likely than the last, when she heard a knock at the door.  As she opened it she was greeted with Carson’s smiling face, who was too much of a dreamboat for his own good.  She noticed that Mick Tatum was also out back, practicing tearing off his tearaway pants in a sexy manner.
“Why doesn’t he just become a stripper?” she wondered aloud.

Comments

  1. Wait. Chad kroeger and Avril lavigne are engaged?!? That is such strange news. I used to have no feelings of any kind for nickelback, until EsNoWriMo. Now I have a vast well of feelings about kroeger and his 14 karat sparkler.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having such trouble with writing. I hope everything is all right... You sounded pretty down. Hopefully you'll feel better soon and it was just a momentary downturn. I am completely confident that you can still finish and that your novel will be way better than you think. We always love your novels for their hilarity but also for their well drawn characters and clever dialogue.

    You can do it! Just ten days to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also adding my hopes that this is just temporary. If it makes you feel any better I think this is brilliant. It may be wrong but I love how your frustration is coming out in Penny Lane.

    My favorite line has to be, "'Why doesn’t he just become a stripper?' she wondered aloud." Its question I have asked myself so many times.

    If you can we should skype tonight. You're probably busy but just facebook me if you have a free hour or five. It might make the novelling more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have struggled with feelings of not wanting to write, of feeling very tired. I think what you should do is pause and listen... what you will hear is the roar of the crowd. It seems distant now, but it is getting louder. You are getting very close to the finish line. And wait... is that the sound of a bottle of champagne being uncorked? It's all there for you waiting at the end, which will be brilliant, as it always is, and funny, and poignant. You have to finish this book because your fans demand it.
    This excerpt was very, very funny and amazing. If this is what you're writing when you're uninspired then, hell, who cares? Just keep on keepin' on!
    Are you available on the weekend for a Fri and/or Saturday Skype session??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part of my day is going on the blogs to read the updates. Your writing is no small part of that. I should add, just for some perspective, that much of my day is spent talking or reading about chronic constipation (for work purposes, I assure you).

    As you know, NaNoWriMo has its ups and downs. You may feel frustrated and tired one day, and very happy with writing the next. Just ride it out. You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment