This novel is feeling like it's moving very slow, but things are moving forward marginally faster these days. Thanks to some plagiarism of Wikipedia, I was able to write my quota for the day. Here, Penny Lane and Alejandro are hiding from Five For Fighting in Honest Ed's. I'm not too sure why I picked that location, but it just feels perfect.
And congratulations to Indigo on finishing today! I'm so proud that you have completed your fifth novel! And from what I can tell from Facebook, you have continued your tradition of having the best last line ever as the ending of your book.
And congratulations to Indigo on finishing today! I'm so proud that you have completed your fifth novel! And from what I can tell from Facebook, you have continued your tradition of having the best last line ever as the ending of your book.
The pair strolled along the long aisles of
bargain items, each breathing a sigh of relief that they had—for the
moment—lost Five For Fighting, leaving them somewhere between dressing up as
mannequins and buying new clothes both to look like they had emerged from a
Cody Simpson video.
“Can I interest you in a plush toy
moose? They’re on sale for $7.99,”
Penny Lane said, cradling the moose lovingly.
“I have enough at home already.”
“Really?”
“No, of course not.”
They continued to walk around the store,
silently taking in Honest Ed’s in all its wonder and frugality.
“They have the ‘Five For Fighting’ CD on
sale for $4.99, I’m sure you’re incredibly eager to purchase it in light of
recent events,” Alejandro said, picking up the CD and reading the track listing
to himself.
“You’re going to have to be more specific. Are you referring to the American
singer-songwriter, or the roving band of hockey hooligans who most likely want
to kill me? Did they record a
CD? Is it music to fight to, or is
it just the sound of people fighting?”
“It’s the former. To my knowledge, the hockey hooligans Five For Fighting have
not recorded an album. But with
Justin Bieber at the helm, I don’t see how it could go wrong.”
“You’re right. I will fight anyone who tries to tell me that ‘Girlfriend’
isn’t a completely legit song.”
“You won’t have to fight me, then.”
“Do you think that they sell any jewelry
here?” Alejandro asked, craning his neck looking for any sign of a jeweler in
the massive store.
“Are you buying something for someone
special?” Penny Lane asked, hearing her voice deflate in the same way that her
heart surely was.
“I’m just wondering if they have a replica
of the fourteen carat diamond sparkler that Chad Kroeger presented to Avril
Lavigne two weeks ago. I figure
that any ring that could convince anyone to marry Chad Krueger must be magic.”
“That’s so true it’s insane. But you know, that’s not actually how
you pronounce his name. But the best part of the announcement of the shock engagement—other than
the hilarious engagement photo where Kroeger looks like a koala that is hanging
off of Avril who must be pregnant based on the way that he is touching her
stomach—is that as big of a national deal as it was up here in Canada, still so
many people couldn’t get his name right, not even the national radio programs.
Like, he’s supposed to be this country’s rock god and half the media can’t be
bothered to learn how to properly say his name. It’s CREW-GUR as opposed to
CROW-GUR. Gordon the Vampyre
corrected me once when I was ranting about how his hair is always inexplicably
ten years behind what is popular—he also corrected me on the fact that his hair
is much, much more outdated than two years.”
“Who is Gordon the Vampyre?”
“Gordon? He’s the director of…”
Fuck.
She was supposed to be a hockey writer, not a cupcake bakery reality
show star.
“He’s the director of… a funeral parlour
nearby.”
“The fact that he dresses up as a vampyre
seems incredibly inappropriate.”
“Yes, I can see that…” Penny Lane said,
wishing that she could have come up with anything other than ‘funeral director.’ People direct a lot of things: cruises,
schools, movies. All of those
seemed like a better choice than ‘funeral director.’ “It’s a pretty morbid funeral parlour.
“So why are you talking to the guy all of
the time? He sounds incredibly
creepy and insensitive.”
Penny Lane had never heard a better
description of the real Gordon the Vampyre than “creepy and insensitive.”
“They always have really good food at
funerals?” Penny Lane practically asked, searching Alejandro’s face for
horror. She didn’t have to look to
hard before she found it.
It became very clear that silence would suit
the two of them best at that moment.
As Penny Lane glanced around the store,
every sense overwhelmed by the spectacle that is Honest Ed’s, she noticed a
woman in the corner who was looking particularly glamourous. She wore a gold sequined loose-fitting
top over some black leggings with gold sequined peep toe pumps with shiny red
lacquered soles, marking them as Christian Laboutins. She was obviously too glamourous for a place like Honest
Ed’s, making her stand out even more.
As she whispered furtively into her iPhone,
Penny Lane finally clued in to who she was. It was Selena Gomez, who is famous for three things: for portraying Alex Russo, the protagonist in
the Emmy Award-winning television series Wizards of Waverly Place, for
her music career with the band Selena Gomez and the Scene, and for her
relationship with Canadian heartthrob Justin Bieber.
It was all coming together, and Penny Lane
didn’t like it one bit. Evidently,
Selena Gomez was the kind of person who got a rush from bargain shopping, even
if she wore a pair of $2,000 peep toe pumps to the bargain basement. Bieber must have shared Penny Lane’s
picture with his paramour, since Selena Gomez was very clearly staring at Penny
Lane and Alejandro as she spoke into the phone. She knew right away that Five For Fighting must have been on
their way, all because Justin Bieber’s girlfriend likes a good bargain.
I think you've insulted all koala bears everywhere, with this excerpt. But apart from that faux pas, everything else is perfect! Really liked this: "It became very clear that silence would suit the two of them best at that moment." And that Selena Gomez's love for a bargain has placed your protagonists at risk.
ReplyDeleteI just love the chemistry between Penny Lane and Alejandro. They are so cute together. I didnt' mention it last time but I was so taken with their mutual love for Rosie O'Donnell Christmas albums. This time, it was this exchange that got me:
ReplyDelete“You’re right. I will fight anyone who tries to tell me that ‘Girlfriend’ isn’t a completely legit song.”
“You won’t have to fight me, then.”
It's obviously a ridiculous exchange, but makes it so clear that they are right for each other!
I also loved the way you threw in a little mixup... that's the essence of an identical strangers movie, and your characters have gotten a little too good at taking over each others' lives. I can't wait for them to try to switch back... I hope Sharon will someday forgive her friend.
This was really, really great, I particularly loved the awkward lies that Penny Lane was forced to tell... obviously she can't keep up this charade forever!
ReplyDeleteAnd with Bieber at the helm of this violence loving group, Penny Lane and Alejandro seem to be in real trouble!
The idea of Gordon as a funeral director is so hilarious. I aslo can't wait for them to try to switch back unless a "Devil's Lube" situation happens and one of them is forced to stay as the other forever.
ReplyDeleteI think you need to post more Ellie excerpts. I love reading about Carson and Buns of Steel.