It's about time that I think about wrapping this shit up. Only 8,000 words to go! I can't believe I've made it this far. I can't wait to be done, but I'm also getting to the point where I'm enjoying my novel. Once things derailed, my love for my book got back on track. Here's the final confrontation between the Sons of Ipswich and Five For Fighting, as well as the beginning of the end of my fifth novel:
“This isn’t about you, Sons of Ipswich.”
“Oh I think it is.”
“Ducks fly together.”
“They also die together.”
And with that a full-on war erupted, with
Penny Lane and Alejandro caught up in the middle. Five For Fighting tried to rush the Sons of Ipswich and
jersey them, only to find that because they weren’t wearing shirts they
couldn’t pull them over their heads.
The Sons of Ipswich were casting spells left and right, causing the
members of Five For Fighting to start moving in a very strange manner
indeed. They started with a
Charleston of sorts, but it was strangely robotic. Their arms and chests were also doing a rhythmic
shimmy. Suddenly dozens of sticks
of deodorant that had been on sale at Honest Ed’s for $2.99 flew off of the
shelves and into the hands of Five For Fighting. In addition to performing a robotic shimmy accompanied by
the Charleston against their wills, they were now applying deodorant as
well. The room did smell a little
better after that, and even better, Five For Fighting suddenly seemed like the
least threatening group of men assembled.
“They shouldn’t bother you anymore,” the
blonde one said to Penny Lane, winking.
“Are you sure? Bieber looks one part furious, the other part considering
this dance for his next tour,” Alejandro responded sceptically.
“Just, lay low for a couple of days,” the
leader of the witch pack told them, motioning to them that they needed to get
out of there immediately, if not sooner.
They ran out of Honest Ed’s, back down
Spadina into their haven of Jackie’s Place. By the time that they arrived at Jackie’s Place they were
pretty winded. Jackie wordlessly
motioned towards a darkened booth in the corner, indicating that they should
take their seats in the booth that was festooned with pictures of Chris
Kirkpatrick. Alejandro’s mouth
opened with shock; he had never seen anyone sit in that booth. Well, that’s not entirely true. A man who had been wearing a blue tank top (a tank top!?!) with a white
triangle pattern and white trim, paired with grey sweatpants that were more
tailored and fitted than any sweatpants Alejandro had ever seen before (and this
was saying something, as at one point in his life, Alejandro had considered
himself something of a sweatpants aficionado), and a pair of bright white
sneakers that were obviously just out of the box had ill-advisedly taken a seat
in the Chris Kirkpatrick booth in order to give an impromptu lecture on his
doc-TOR-al dissertation. Needless
to say the man had left the bar with a urine-soaked sock stuck up his nose,
serving as a warning to anyone foolish enough to consider sitting in that
booth. Jackie soon came over and placed two dirty mugs of greasy
coffee on the table, each with a smack of ham and Red Bull. That Jackie, he always knew that you
needed before you knew it yourself.
“I’m going to call my father and tell him
that I love him,” Penny Lane finally said, after her mind was no longer
completely paralyzed with fear so that she could begin to form words again.
“I thought that you didn’t talk to your
father,” Alejandro said suspiciously.
Fuck. How many times was this going to happen to Penny Lane before
she would finally get it?
“What better time than now?”
That was a pretty easy save. She was getting good. She smiled to herself.
Out of nowhere, the spoken word Rihanna
tribute music that Jackie had always been so fond of was replaced by some soft
music that began playing throughout Jackie’s Place. Penny Lane immediately recognized the song as “I Thought She
Knew,” one of ‘N Sync’s less known songs.
Chris Kirkpatrick’s high-pitched voice surrounded them, making their
hearts feel lighter.
“She was my once in a lifetime. Happy ending come true. Oh I guess I should have told her, but I thought she knew. I thought she knew,” Justin Timberlake’s angelic voice lamented,
supported by his glorified back-up singers.
Kirkpatrick’s vocal risks seemed to have
emboldened a nervous Alejandro.
Jackie smiled to himself from behind the bar, but only for a second.
“Well, now that you mention doing things
that we are afraid of,” Alejandro began, turning to face her. “I’ve wanted to do this for the longest
time.”
He moved towards her like they were
opposite poles on magnets; giving into it felt natural, like she could stop
resisting something that she should have done a long time ago. Their lips met for the first time, but
it somehow felt as if they were old friends. Penny Lane’s heart was doing somersaults, and her head was
jumping up and down and squealing.
The feeling that the world was perfect was washing over her, and she
never wanted it to end.
Of course, the world just isn’t like
that. Just as Emilio Estevez films
need to end, so do perfect moments.
Her phone starting ringing urgently, breaking apart their kiss. Penny Lane considered throwing her
phone across the room, but since it was Ellie’s phone, she knew that throwing
it just wouldn’t do.
“Hello?” she finally said, hating whoever
was going to be on the other end.
“It’s Jake. I’m going to make this short, since we’re up to our asses here in the shitstorm that
has emerged with the shock engagement of Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger. I have
to dedicate at least one entire article to educating the unwashed masses about
the correct pronunciation of the rock legend’s name, and the prime minister has
asked us to run a full page photograph of the Canadian homegrown supergroup
receiving the Order of Canada, accompanied by a pleading note to name him as
Best Man at what is sure to be the wedding of the year, if not the decade (yes
I am including the Royal Wedding in this assessment). I want you to get out of town until this whole Five For Fighting
clusterfuck dies down, so I’m sending you to Montreal to cover the Leafs’ first
game of the season. I don’t want
you to see this as rewarding you for being a fucking moron so much as me
denying Freddie Prince Senior the opportunity to go. I mean, come on.
No one is taking you seriously with that name, you asshole.”
And with that, Jake unceremoniously hung up.
So this was how it was going to end, Penny Lane
thought to herself. This was how
her life in Toronto ended. All
that was left to do was switch places with Ellie, and get back to her old
life. Her heart that had been
doing somersaults moments ago was now tumbling down into her stomach.
That picture sure is something...
ReplyDeleteOh my god, I'm still so glad that the Sons are back. They really made quick work of Five of Fighting. I need to know how this ends!
The fight between the Sons of Ipswich and Five for Fighting was absolutely legendary. Every single word was pure gold.
ReplyDeleteI really find myself wishing that this Alejandro character existed in real life. He is so snappy with the dialogue!
Obviously I am thrilled that Jake made an appearance in your novel!
Really, what is there not to love about this excerpt. I'm so excited for the awkwardness that is going to emerge when Penny Lane and Ellie finally have to start telling the truth.
I thought that the Indian Roti I was eating for lunch at 11:30 in the morning had made my life complete. And then I read this excerpt.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe what you did with the robotic shimmy. Completely amazing to have deodorants flying off the shelves. Thank goodness it wasn't clinical strength deodorant, or someone might have been hurt!
the end is near! So exciting (and sad!) that the two are going to switch places at some point soon. I don't know whether to hope that everything works out in the end... On the one hand, of course I want happy endings all around! On the other hand, if I had known someone for a while and then found out that they were actually an impostor who had just been taking over someone's life for a while, I'd be a bit nonplussed.
ReplyDeleteso glad the postmodern sweatpants made a comeback in this excerpt!
There was so much going on in this excerpt, I really couldn't keep track of all the goodness. Amazing work.