I had another productive writing session today, this time accompanied by Jill on Skype. Skype writing is infinitely better than writing alone, so I will definitely be logging on every time that I need to write with hopes of catching one of you. The sports writers have dropped in at our favourite local watering hole, Jackie's Place. Here's what went down:
Penny Lane had spent a few moments
scanning the sports pages of To(Ron)to(!) in order to develop a working
understanding of who her co-workers and fellow sports writers were. There was Jim Jimerson, the sports
photographer who was never seen without his camera around his neck and his hair
fashioned in the likeness of Emilio Estevez circa a particulalry unsavoury 2008
episode of “Two and a Half Men” called “The Devil’s Lube.” Next there was Freddy Prince Senior, a
fellow hockey writer who apparently relished any opportunity to enrage Ron
Tortellini by asking ridiculous and/or obvious questions. In close company Torts might have
described his relationship with Freddy as that of a “frenemy,” but only in
really close company. Todd Bigsley
wrote about the Toronto Raptors, but just as no one cares about the Toronto
Raptors, no one cares about Todd Bigsley.
Jacqueline Esmort was the resident Toronto Blue Jays expert who was
infamous for her penchant for drawing a beard on her face with a Sharpie as an
homage to her favourite slugger, Jose Bautista. Rounding out the team was Toronto FC specialist Alejandro
Puyol, the former Barcelona FC footballer whose long Tarzan-like hair curled
and swirled like an angry tornado that was about to carry all of your livestock
to your neighbour’s field. There
was also a woman named Sharon who had a backpack with “Sharon” spelled out in
magazine clippings who Penny Lane had made the mistake of acting as if she did
not know that they were friends or what her name was, thus accidentally
starting a feud. Penny Lane was
not particularly bothered by this.
When the group entered Jackie’s Place they
found Damien Cox sitting at the bar, sharing with an angry Jackie his
suggestion that he offer sheet Roberto Luongo so that he could tend the bar and
that he stop serving liquor to bring in more of a family crowd. Even though Penny Lane had just
encountered Jackie for the first time, she could tell that he was thinking
about urinating on Damien Cox’s socks and holding them up to his mouth; not to
save him from a noxious gas, but rather, just because.
Lucky for Jackie, Damien Cox’s moronic
suggestions were interrupted by an Aerosmith cover band that seemed to be
calling themselves “Broken Aero,” who were setting up in the corner. Moments later the emotional first chords
of “Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” shook the mouldy panels of Jackie’s Place, and
the cover band’s Steven Tyler was doing an admirable job of conveying the pain
and sense of tragedy one feels when watching the infamous Animal Crackers sex
scene in “Armageddon,” which is widely acknowledged to be the worst sex scene
of all time. Lucky for Penny Lane
she did not need to think about that abomination of a sex scene for too much
longer, since Jackie soon came over with drinks that they did not order as it
was generally assumed that Jackie knew what you wanted more than you did. Penny Lane was surprised by the
presence of some jaunty Union flag crepe paper parasols that had been inserted
in their late summer sips, but no one else seemed to question them. The murky drinks were placed on
personalized embellished cork coasters to protect the dirty and scuffed bar
from his guests’ frosty glasses.
If Penny Lane hadn’t met Jackie, she might have suspected that he had created the stripes with masking tape and
initials with vinyl letters that in no way correlated with the name “Jackie’s
Place”. Instead, she strongly
suspected that he had stolen the coasters.
“I’m glad that you agreed to come to Jackie’s
Place after that bloodbath, otherwise I would have to drink alone,” Jim
Jimerson piped up.
“Things got pretty awkward when Ron Tortellini
started squirting his water bottle at the Maple Leafs blogger whose cell phone
rang in the middle of the press conference,” Freddy Prince Senior
admitted. “I mean, yeah, he
probably should have silenced it, but his child is in the hospital, to be
fair.”
“I don’t think that it counts as drinking alone
if you’re just thinking about somebody else,” Penny Lane admitted, drawing
concerned looks from the others and an awkward silence. Evidently alcoholism jokes were hitting
a little close to home with this crew, she noted. Jackie uttered an unintelligible grunt that sounded like it
might have been in support of her statement. She wasn’t sure, but she thought that Jackie’s
thoughts might have been occupied by Chris Kirkpatrick, whose likeness (surrounded
by hearts) was plastered around one booth in particular of Jackie’s Place.
The "Tiger Beat" poster that no one was ever interested in.
Oh... my ... God. That was a laugh a nanosecond. I just sat here cackling like a fool for five minutes. Brava, Katie. Sheer brilliance. I loved every bit of it.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. I just loved every second of this. The caption to the Chris Kirkpatrick poster was hilarious and yet bittersweet. I loved the Martha Stewart crafts so. much. And Sharon, who was supposed to be Penny Lane's best friend but then Penny acted as if they'd never met. Well played, Penny. Hahahahaha.
ReplyDeleteAlso, can Jacqueline Esmort please take on a starring role? Pretty please?
About what time do you usually write? I could try to get on Skype at that time but I'm more of an afternoon writer.
This was really amazing. So many classic NaNoWriMo moments swirled in with soon-to-be classics! And how awesome that there is a Jacqueline Esmort character! A true tour-de-force.
ReplyDeleteI had the same reaction as Jill when I was done reading this oh my god. There was not a line of this that wasn't hilarious! I agree that Jacqueline Esmort has to be featured so much more.
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed by how funny your book is shaping up to be. I know it was slow going for a while there but keep powering through and supplying us with comedy gold like this.