WE DID IT!!!!! I'm so proud of all of us. Well fucking done.
I can't wait to not spend every night working on my novel. It's going to be fantastic. The ending is really questionable (it always is, isn't it) and I kind of ran out of steam as soon as I passed the 50,000 word mark. That's okay though, because I'm a champion anyway. In fact, I'm listening to "We Are the Champions" right now. I've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but I've come through!
Here's an excerpt to whet your appetite for the complete version of "Two Dolphins in the Ocean of our Hearts."
She sighed deeply, drawing an angry glare
from Freddie Prince Senior who was two desks over. Ellie found a top on her desk—it had probably been left by
Penny Lane, she thought to herself—and she set it to spin. It spun around and around, for an
impossibly long time, in fact, giving her an eerie feeling that perhaps it had
all been a dream, and that she could no longer differentiate dreams from
reality because reality no longer existed. Or are dreams reality?
What is reality? While
considering the theoretical existence of reality, she suddenly had an urge to
read Gordon’s doctoral dissertation, “Be(com)ing-Grizzly: Bodily Molecularity
and the Animal that Becomes.” While she agreed that this molecularity is what enables the
potential interpermeation of bodies across their differences, such as occurs in
the event of becoming-animal, she thought that he went way too fucking far when
he suggested that Alphonso Lingis’s descriptions of our becoming-animal as
lived experience serve as an evocative source for clarifying this proposition
further. His committee had
probably only accepted his defence because they wanted to get rid of him, which
was really understandable.
However, in so doing they had unleashed him onto the world as an
insufferable doctor, which clearly wasn’t doing anyone any favours.
So happy for you being done!!! Very well done. I just loved the Inception reference (if indeed it was) and the aimless wondering about reality/dreams. I also loved when your narrator thought that Gordon had gone "too fucking far" in his thesis.
ReplyDeleteso excited to read the whole thing!!! don't make us wait too long, ok?
This wasn't nearly enough of an excerpt, but I'll have to be satisfied until you send me the complete novel. Excellent use of the Inception top, and thank you for bringing it back around to Gordon's dissertation. Things must be pretty bad for Ellie to have any desire to read it. I hope everything works out for these crazy kids! Congratulations on finishing your fifth novel. You are my hero! Looking forward to novel number six :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm very glad someone finally read Gordon's dissertation. I also loved the comment about it going too fucking far. Another great year is behind you, another amazing accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!! I hope that you are somewhere enjoying NOT writing your novel. I for one am NOT enjoying that I have no more excerpts to read. Ugh double negative but who cares anymore, am-i-rite?
ReplyDeleteYou truly are a champion. 5 novels by the age of 23. What an accomplishment.
I am so proud for Gordon that someone read his dissertation, but agree with Ellie's assessment completely. Too fucking far, indeed.
Like the others, I can't wait to see the completed work.