I took yesterday off, but today I'm back with a vengeance. It's me against good writing, and this time, it's personal. I wrote 1,000 words during lunch, and this evening I'll write 1,000 more. It will definitely include more than a smack of Indigo's ingenious excerpt at Buns of Steel, that's for sure. Here's what I came up with so far:
Ellie had not stopped thinking about Carson Carrington
since he had first angrily set foot in Penny Lane’s Bakery to yell at her about
Gordon and his trickery. She
wasn’t sure if she had really smoothed things over with him after she had
foolishly let on that she didn’t know him, and this bothered her.
She usually didn’t care about what other people
thought of her, which was an especially important trait to have as a sports
writer in Toronto. If she took to
heart everything that was said about her, she definitely wouldn’t have been
able to get out of bed every day.
If she took everyone’s advice about her writing, she probably wouldn’t
be writing anymore, and at some point long ago she probably would have just
given up to go fuck herself because she was such a moron. She figured that this must have been a
viable career option, since it was suggested to her so many times by helpful
readers via comment sections and personal e-mails. She especially had to ignore the gendered insults that were
constantly hurled her way; being a woman and having the audacity to have an
opinion on anything, let alone sports, and having the further boldness to think
that those opinions were worthy of publication, was apparently an affront to
the existence of many men out there.
Yes, having a thick skin as a Toronto hockey reporter was particularly
important, and Ellie certainly had this in spades. Or, she had at least thought that she did. She didn’t like that she was so
bothered by the possibility that Carson didn’t like her. It wasn’t even her, she kept on
reminding herself. She knew that
she wouldn’t get much blowback from the gaff anyway, since she would soon just
go back to being Ellie Abbott, a sports journalist who would never cross paths
with the sexy baker again.
Oh, how she wished that she could talk to her
friend Sharon about this predicament.
She certainly missed her, but she was sure that their friendship would
continue as normal when she finally returned to her own life.
She was secretly hoping that Gordon would get up
to his hijinks again to draw Carson back to Penny Lane’s Bakery, but apparently
Gordon had been too busy hassling the staff at Forever 21 about the purple
tie-dye harem pants that he was hoping would be back in stock to bother with
Buns of Steel. She had been
wracking her brain trying to come up with an excuse to go over to Buns of Steel
herself, but nothing was really coming to her. She couldn’t exactly go over there to ask for a cup of
sugar.
“Are you even paying attention?” Mick said,
drawing Ellie out of her contemplation.
Damn it, she had done it again.
Her overly active internal monologue had once again taken precedence
over a dialogue she was supposed to be having.
“I’m sorry Mick, I was just struck by
inspiration! I have a great idea
for a cupcake recipe,” Ellie lied.
“I get that way sometimes too, with my furniture
designing,” Mick said. Ellie had
no idea what he was talking about, but since he seemed to expect that she did,
she opted to keep this a secret.
“Oh yes, your furniture designing, great stuff,”
Ellie trailed off before awkwardly leaving the room. Some things are best left behind.
It was a quiet and rainy Tuesday at Penny Lane’s
Bakery, the perfect antidote to the heat that had persisted into October. Ellie watched the raindrops hit the
glass of the front window dreamily, thinking about her crush. He would probably look pretty good if
we stood outside in the rain, not unlike Usher in the “U Got It Bad” music
video. Upon second thought, this
was a particularly apropos reference, since Ellie certainly had it bad. She took a moment to wonder what it
would look like if Carson was dancing in the rain only wearing a trench coat
and jeans. She immediately
concluded that he would look great, but even then she was saddened by the
reality that this was unlikely to occur today. But what if it did, and she missed it because she hadn’t come
up with an excuse to go over to Buns of Steel? What if they had a tradition where they performed a sexy dance to “It’s Raining Men” while wearing vests every time that it rained? She knew that she had to go over there,
whether she had a good excuse or not.
She decided that she would claim that Mick had
made an extra batch of red velvet cupcakes (which they were famous for), and
that she had wanted to bring them over to apologize for Gordon’s
behaviour. That sounded plausible,
right? Of course it did. She mentally high-fived herself, then
did it again because she didn’t think that it was crisp enough the first time.
OMG. Complete brilliance. I loved every sentence so it is hard to pick a favourite. Her concern about missing the staff of Buns of Steel possibly dancing in the rain? Gordon harassing the staff at Forever 21? No, I'll have to go with this: "She mentally high-fived herself, then did it again because she didn’t think that it was crisp enough the first time." Brava!
ReplyDeleteThat's my favorite line too. What a perfect place to leave your excerpt. I also loved when she wished that she could talk to Sharon assuming their relationship was still fine. Ellie is going to be in for a rude awakening.
DeleteI'm so happy that the part that I stole from you novel and wrote into mine got written back into yours. Can't wait for more hilarity and more Usher reference!
i loved the high five line, too. Also, loved when you wrote "Damn it, she had done it again. Her overly active internal monologue had once again taken precedence over a dialogue she was supposed to be having." Our characters certainly are famous for that. This whole excerpt was awesome - the Forever 21, Mick and his furniture business, the internal monologue, the dreamily thinking about her crush, and coming up with any possible reason to go over to Buns of Steel. Also agreed with Heather, I loved that you put in the part about Sharon to remind us that Ellie and Penny are royally fucking up one anothers' lives.
ReplyDeleteBut so far no one mentioned your spot on aanalysis of what happens with a woman who has the audacity to write things on the internet! Amazing.
I feel a little bit disappointed that we didn't get a detailed description of Buns of Steel dancing in the rain, but I suppose in this life we can't always get what we want.
Katie, you are my favorite. I'm so impressed with your rigorous writing ethic. I love how you always manage to work in some incisive social commentary, even sandwiched between musings on sexy bakers. I'm also loving the interactions between Ellie and Magic Mick, baker/freelance ugly furniture designer. I hope it is indeed the tradition of Buns of Steel to perform some kind of striptease with umbrellas every time it rains. Please god let this bakery exist! I want to go to there! And that last line. Brilliant.
ReplyDeleteI literally squealed when I turned on my computer and discovered there was another update to your blog. My mom can attest to that. Look forward to more egg-cellent excerpts!
I can't add much to the dialogue on this excerpt, except to say that I agree with everyone else. I loved all the lines mentioned above, as well as the line about fucking herself being a viable career option. All of it inspired. Love it!
ReplyDelete