It's that time of year again, friends, when the Esmondes enter into a ridiculous competition where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. Ridiculous, eh? Well, yeah, but that's the point.
Things are going to be a little different this year, however. What is usually a summer event for the Esmondes has moved to the intersection of fall and winter. More noteable is the fact that for the first time ever, Esmonde Novel Writing Month will take place during National Novel Writing Month, the month where thousands of people around the world compete in this silly competition. How exciting! Another difference is that this year I will not be attempting to write a 50,000 word novel. As much as I love this competition, with full-time work, a two hour commute, grad school applications and manuscript writing, spending hours every night writing about a physiotherapist's fervour for jock straps just isn't possible. But, since I just can't quit you (EsNoWriMo), I will be compromising with just 25,000 words. I don't really have anything to prove here-- I have written five novels totalling over 250,000 words, after all. That's almost the same length as the first three Harry Potter books, but considerably worse. J.K. Rowling may have written about vampires, but never about a Vampyre named Gordon who owned a haunted house-themed strip club called the "Boo!-bie Mansion."
This year's offering promises to be equally questionable. It will be titled "When Hipsters Eat Their Own --or-- A Little Cronut Never Hurt Anyone." I figure I'm already off to a good start in terms of word count. It will follow the madcap adventures of Chloe, a Toronto bakery employee who is trying to solve the mystery of her missing boss, the pastry chef who invented the cronut. Her search will lead her to the seedy underbelly of the cronut black market-- a topic I can't wait to write about!
Es/NaNoWriMo is only nine days away. Y'all ready for this?
Um... I think you're missing the obvious here the title should clearly be, "When Hipsters Eat Their Own: A Little Cronut Never Hurt Anyone."
ReplyDeleteBeyond that, I'm so excited and so proud of you for attempting again this year with so much else on your plate. I love your idea and I really can't wait to attend some of the famous EsNoWriMo writing nights!
This is going to be amazing!!! I love that image of Cronut mania. It really is a sad day when our news programs are reduced to reporting on baked goods. (Ooops, did I say that?)
ReplyDeleteIn the spirit of NaNoWriMo and attempting the impossible, with no fear and no shame, I think it's great that you are setting a lower word count for yourself this year. You've got nothing to prove and your novella will be incredible. Anything that will get you writing is a good thing! Can't wait to read it.
What is that cat doing? And what does it have to do with cronuts? The aura of mystery surrounding your novel has already been set. Can't wait until you dive right in and really get down to business.
ReplyDelete