It's good to be back, fellow ENo/EsNoWriMo-ers! Indigo and I had a fabulous writing session with more than a few snackskies. I hope to have many more! Snacks, that is.
I don't know how I managed to make nothing happen in the first 2,027 words of my novel, but I did it with aplomb. It all takes place at Jackie's Place (where else?). I really enjoyed reusing some of our old jokes today, which is something that I plan on doing a great deal of over the next month. I can't take credit for most of what I just wrote, actually-- it was basically a team effort.
"It all started at Jackie’s Place, Chloe’s favourite local watering hole. Perhaps favourite is too strong of a word; but then again, only strong words are acceptable when describing Jackie’s Place. The eponymous owner, the greying but surprisingly spry Jackie Bauer, had set up shop in The Annex, one of Toronto’s hippest neighbourhoods, back when it was far from hip. No one is quite sure why someone like Jackie would open a bar when he clearly hates people; more suitable professions were surely available to a misanthrope like Jackie, such employment in the government. But no, every night he could be found behind the bar wearing his signature acid-washed jean jacket, pouring drinks with bizarre Union Jack crepe paper parasols, and grudgingly interacting (read: grunting and shooting icy stares) with the clientele that had made Jackie’s Place their home. No one was quite sure why they went to Jackie’s Place, which might have been one of the strangest things about the bar if there weren’t so many strange things about it. Take, for instance, the booth that was inexplicably adorned with photos of the unanimously least popular member of ‘Nsync, Chris Kirkpatrick. There was also the prominently placed graduation certificate from the Hermione Granger Feminist School for Magic, which no one suspected to be an accredited institution for obvious reasons as well as not as obvious reasons, such as the fact that the certificate was written in crayon not unlike how one would imagine a drunk baby might pen such a thing. While many bars had floors littered with peanut shells, the floor of Jackie’s Place glittered with the scales of hundreds of thousands of dead fish, which only fueled the legends about the place. Some hipsters had recently tried to gentrify Jackie’s Place as it was too edgy even for them, and they hadn’t been seen since.
Having recently quit her job as an Urban Outfitters sales associate—she ran out the door screaming about how she refused to sell one more ironic and ugly yet overpriced item—she started her walk to Jackie’s with a proud stride that ended up being more of a desperate slink by the time she reached the saloon-style doors of Jackie’s Place . Her righteous stand against bikestaches—vaguely moustache-shaped polyester faux fur to be worn on the front of a bike to wordlessly announce to the world that you’re an asshole—had seemed so dignified just moments before. When she thought about paying her rent and continuing the lifestyle that she had grown accustomed to which included things like eating and hydro, however, it didn’t exactly seem like a great choice anymore. There must have been something in the air that day that made her do it; perhaps it was all of those clouds that were clearly up to no good. The siren song of Jackie’s Place was calling, and it sounded a lot like “Girlfriend” by ‘Nsync."
I don't know how I managed to make nothing happen in the first 2,027 words of my novel, but I did it with aplomb. It all takes place at Jackie's Place (where else?). I really enjoyed reusing some of our old jokes today, which is something that I plan on doing a great deal of over the next month. I can't take credit for most of what I just wrote, actually-- it was basically a team effort.
"It all started at Jackie’s Place, Chloe’s favourite local watering hole. Perhaps favourite is too strong of a word; but then again, only strong words are acceptable when describing Jackie’s Place. The eponymous owner, the greying but surprisingly spry Jackie Bauer, had set up shop in The Annex, one of Toronto’s hippest neighbourhoods, back when it was far from hip. No one is quite sure why someone like Jackie would open a bar when he clearly hates people; more suitable professions were surely available to a misanthrope like Jackie, such employment in the government. But no, every night he could be found behind the bar wearing his signature acid-washed jean jacket, pouring drinks with bizarre Union Jack crepe paper parasols, and grudgingly interacting (read: grunting and shooting icy stares) with the clientele that had made Jackie’s Place their home. No one was quite sure why they went to Jackie’s Place, which might have been one of the strangest things about the bar if there weren’t so many strange things about it. Take, for instance, the booth that was inexplicably adorned with photos of the unanimously least popular member of ‘Nsync, Chris Kirkpatrick. There was also the prominently placed graduation certificate from the Hermione Granger Feminist School for Magic, which no one suspected to be an accredited institution for obvious reasons as well as not as obvious reasons, such as the fact that the certificate was written in crayon not unlike how one would imagine a drunk baby might pen such a thing. While many bars had floors littered with peanut shells, the floor of Jackie’s Place glittered with the scales of hundreds of thousands of dead fish, which only fueled the legends about the place. Some hipsters had recently tried to gentrify Jackie’s Place as it was too edgy even for them, and they hadn’t been seen since.
Having recently quit her job as an Urban Outfitters sales associate—she ran out the door screaming about how she refused to sell one more ironic and ugly yet overpriced item—she started her walk to Jackie’s with a proud stride that ended up being more of a desperate slink by the time she reached the saloon-style doors of Jackie’s Place . Her righteous stand against bikestaches—vaguely moustache-shaped polyester faux fur to be worn on the front of a bike to wordlessly announce to the world that you’re an asshole—had seemed so dignified just moments before. When she thought about paying her rent and continuing the lifestyle that she had grown accustomed to which included things like eating and hydro, however, it didn’t exactly seem like a great choice anymore. There must have been something in the air that day that made her do it; perhaps it was all of those clouds that were clearly up to no good. The siren song of Jackie’s Place was calling, and it sounded a lot like “Girlfriend” by ‘Nsync."
Am I supposed to understand a line about clouds being up to no good? I hate to miss a single pop culture reference in your novels because they are so hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for not just recycling the best of the best old jokes, but also including a fantastic new set of jokes about bikestaches. And your description of bikestaches was pretty much spot on and perfect.
I ahd so much fun writing with you!
Am I supposed to understand a line about clouds being up to no good? I hate to miss a single pop culture reference in your novels because they are so hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for not just recycling the best of the best old jokes, but also including a fantastic new set of jokes about bikestaches. And your description of bikestaches was pretty much spot on and perfect.
I ahd so much fun writing with you!
This was such an enjoyable excerpt, littered with old jokes and dome great new ones. I didn't even know bike-staches existed, and I sort of wish I could return to that blissful state of ignorance. That won't stop me from writing them in immediately. Looking forward to more!
ReplyDeleteI meant 'some' great new ones.
ReplyDeleteYou make think nothing has happened so far but I see that you've set yourself up to write your funniest novel yet. I laughed so hard reading your excerpt. I loved the shout out about the fish scales especially since it makes so little sense in this context. I also agree with Jill in that I wish I could unsee that monstrosity they're calling a bike-stach. I can't wait to read more about Chloe's high jinx.
ReplyDeleteGreat beginning! Would you hate me if I told you I have a bikestache?
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud reading this several times. Favorite line of this excerpt: "The siren song of Jackie’s Place was calling, and it sounded a lot like “Girlfriend” by ‘Nsync." " Also, if I ever see a bike with a bike-stache, I will be writing a very strongly-worded letter to its owner. Or I will steal the 'stache and burn it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, where can I sign up for the Hermione Granger Feminist School for Magic?
I laughed out loud reading this several times. Favorite line of this excerpt: "The siren song of Jackie’s Place was calling, and it sounded a lot like “Girlfriend” by ‘Nsync." " Also, if I ever see a bike with a bike-stache, I will be writing a very strongly-worded letter to its owner. Or I will steal the 'stache and burn it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, where can I sign up for the Hermione Granger Feminist School for Magic?
Angela, you can't sign up for the school, but if you get mysterious phone calls telling you that you won an all expenses paid trip to Austenland because of your feminist analysis of muslin patterns, you should be suspicious. At the risk of sounding like a mom blogger, you could read more about it here http://sevenmaraschinocherries.blogspot.ca/2013/11/day-3-8050-words-and-arrival-at.html
ReplyDelete