Day Fourteen-- It's All Happening


I am so close to being half way through! I am just over 24,000 words, and I will fly by the half way mark tomorrow. A lot is actually happening all of a sudden, but I want to keep some things close to the vest. I have started catching up on your blogs, and you'll notice that I have left some brief comments on them. I should be caught up soon!

In my novel, a rival bakery called Buns of Steel has just been revealed to be selling cronuts, which is highly suspicious. In this excerpt, they aren't aware of that yet-- they just know that people aren't coming into the bakery for some reason:

For the first time since the launch of the cronut on Toronto society, Juliet’s Bookstore and Bakery did not have a line-up that stretched around Cumberland Street. No one had camped out in front of the bakery to be first in line to buy as many cronuts as they were allowed to buy at once, which had been set to six after Bill Paxton had tried to buy the entire stock one day. The employees didn’t need to tell anyone that they had run out of cronuts, which often resulted in a great deal of unpleasant crying. Instead, tears of relief were seen around the bakery when cronut fans were able to purchase a cronut of their own, and also from the regulars who were finally able to return to their old haunt. Carey finally came out from under the table in the corner of the back room, citing Hillary Clinton as inspiration for the heroic act.

No one in Juliet’s Bookstore and Bakery could explain it. Was Toronto finally tired of cronuts? Had they eaten their fill and were eager to move on to the next “it” dessert? What had replaced them? Is it small? Large? New and beyond our wildest imaginations? A twist on an old classic? Would the employees of Juliet’s Bookstore and Bakery be out on the street? Despite Gordon the Vampyre’s proclaimed love of print media, it appeared as if the cronut was going the way of the printed book. Was there going to be cronut backlash? Would it become embarrassing to admit that you still liked cronuts, just like how people would now wear hoodies and keep their heads down, embarrassed to be seen, when they went into one of the numerous cupcake bakeries that had sprung up during the cupcake craze several years ago? Would people start saying that they hated cronuts? The hipsters would be the first to go, declaring that they liked cronuts before they were cool as they sipped on their cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, unaware that PBR had been cool with hipsters for so long that it was more of a signifier that they liked things after they were cool. The foodies were notorious for their short attention spans, and furthermore, they would be too busy trying to rate every single brunch in Toronto to stop into a bakery that sells books and cronuts, both of which were obviously over. The mommy bloggers would eventually look up from the other mommy blogs where they were posting links to their own blogs to realize that cronuts were as over as their days of talking about things that are not their own children. The only people who would stick around would be the Nickelback fans, who clearly had never cared about what was considered tasteful or cool. Nickelback fans were the kiss of death for any Toronto business who wanted to be seen as worth your business.

Comments

  1. Wow. What a fantastic excerpt. I LOVED the description of how something became popular earlier in the month, and I REALLY LOVED the description of how things became uncool. Very, very funny and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I looked away from the Toronto Star live twitter feed from City Hall to read this excerpt. And that is the highest compliment I can think of.

    Needless to say, this was hilarious. I particularly enjoyed Nickelback being described as the "kiss of death" and the description of the mommy bloggers. So glad that we're going to get an additional 25,000 words from you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking on behalf of the cronut community and Juliet's Bakery, thank goodness for the Nickelback fans, who couldn't care less what other people think. We should all strive to be more like them, though preferably without having to listen to Nickelback. They are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I can't believe I forgot to comment on this one! Loved the NIckelback picture and the incredible insight that Nickelback fans "who had never cared about what was considered tasteful or cool." And the detailed imagination of Chloe and her fellow staff about exactly how people had suddenly got over the cronuts craze. Also, loved the description of the way people have to buy cupcakes these days because they're so embarrassed that they still like them. Masterful writing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment