First of all, I have so loved reading everyone's posts on their blogs. Everyone is knocking it out of the park and I am so proud to be writing with all of you.
The second half of the chapter that I was writing today involves Nora's run-in with her own Mr. Darcy. She meets him in the office of her book agent, brian j. Pickles:
There are a few things that you need to know about brian j. Pickles. First, the lower-case b and j were not typos. He just chooses to spell his name that way and gets belligerent if it is spelled any other way. Second, he is in an Aerosmith cover band called Broken Aero, and they only perform at the dive bar called Jackie’s Place that served as inspiration for the portal between the magical and Gentle worlds in Nora’s novels. The reason that brian j. Pickles had approached Nora in the first place was that he had heard that an up and coming author had featured Jackie’s Place in a pivotal role in her oeuvre and knew that he could be the only person who could represent her as a book agent and bring Jackie’s Place to the masses. Third, he tries to cultivate an air of mystery, and he does so by pretending—and I truly mean pretending—to be a breatharian. Breatharians are a curious class of people who claim that they can subsist on air, and air alone. While doctors disagree, brian j. Pickles liked to make a show of it. Fourth, he had just moved into a larger office on Bay Street. While this is not interesting in and of itself, it explains why Nora had trouble finding his office. She had even more trouble because she was carrying a large housewarming plant.
“Happy officewarming!” Nora exclaimed when she spotted him from the hallway. “Here’s a Kawhactus,” she said, holding up the leafy plant.
“The air from this plant will be delicious,” brian j. Pickles said, prompting Nora to look to the ground and roll her eyes. He was certainly eccentric, but he definitely knew how to shop books around.
“I only have a few minutes to chat since my next client is coming in. I have him to thank for my new office,” brian j. Pickles said as he gestured around the cavernous room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the business district of Toronto.
“How’s the air up here?”
“Oh, uh, it’s thin,” he responded, partially joking about the height of the building. But also, being a breatharian isn’t a thing.
“How is the movie script coming?,” brian j. Pickles continued. “I know you said you were finding it challenging to cut your book down into a digestible script.”
“It’s going well. There are some changes that I want to make, but it’s coming along.”
“They ask authors to write screenplays of their own novels because they don’t want any changes, Nora.”
“Well, the thing is—” Nora’s justifications were interrupted by a knock on the door.
Both Nora and brian j. Pickles turned their focus to the entrance to the office. A man who looked quite impatient indeed was darkening the door.
“I’m sorry to interrupt your discussion with your… assistant?” the man said rudely.
Nora’s eyes bulged so largely that they almost fell right out of her head. Her. An assistant.
There is of course nothing wrong with being an assistant. But much in the same way that female doctors don’t like it when people constantly assume that they are nurses, Nora absolutely did not take kindly to the assertion that she was anything other than a client of her brian j. Pickles, book agent.
“I’m actually a client of Mr. Pickles,” Nora said with as prickly of a tone if she could muster. “We were just meeting about the screenplay that I have been commissioned to write based on my book series. I’m not sure what about me made you think I am an assistant. Well, actually, I have some ideas.”
She arched her brow in his direction, hoping he was learning something about sexist bias.
“The fact that you are holding a house plant threw me off, I suppose,” the man said with a smirk as he ran his hands through his fashionably parted dark brown hair. He was wearing a tweed blazer with elbow patches, which was clearly the smug man’s uniform.
Nora realized that she was indeed still holding the Kawhactus. She thought about explaining the situation further, but it was pretty hard to say anything else on the topic without sounding defensive. She placed the Kawhactus on the desk as quickly and subtly as possible, brushing dirt off of her blouse in a way that she hoped this man wouldn’t notice. Nora found herself wishing that she had applied another coat of the prescription-strength deodorant that she saved for stressful occasions such as these.
“I’m excited that the two of you are meeting, actually,” brian j. Pickles interjected, sensing some tension. “Oliver, this is Nora Zimmerman. She writes the Pride and Prejuwitch series, which was just picked up by Columbia Pictures.” Nora just knew that she saw his mouth twitch into a little smile. She refused to feel embarrassed for her books. Especially not in the hands of this guy.
“Nora, this is Oliver Goldstein. He’s the new client I mentioned.”
He said this as if Nora should recognize who he was from his name. It did kind of ring a bell, but she didn’t want to give him any satisfaction.
“Hi, Oliver. You might know me from my most recent feud with Ontario Premier Doug Ford,” Nora said as she shook his hand.
“Sorry, I must have missed that one,” Oliver responded, as if he wasn’t all that sorry. “My friend Kiefer recently handed Doug Ford his ass on Twitter, did you see that one?”
“Yes,” Nora said weakly. Of course, she had heard of it. Oliver was referring to Kiefer Sutherland, Canadian actor and star, as his friend “Kiefer.” He had recently taken issue with Doug Ford comparing himself to former Prime Minister Tommy Douglas, his maternal grandfather, who is widely credited with bringing universal healthcare to Canada. She couldn’t decide whether she liked it more when he said, “I knew Tommy Douglas and you, sir, are no Tommy Douglas,” or “P.S. You’re lucky my mum’s not active on Twitter.” Who was she kidding? Both were great.
“Please thank Kiefer for his service to our country.”
“Oliver just signed with us,” brian j. Pickles beamed. “We’re going to try to get him a Pulitzer for Portman’s Complaint.”
Right. Portman’s Complaint. Everyone in literary circles was talking about it.
“Erm, well, I’ll leave you to it,” Nora said as she slinked out of the office and into the hall.
“Another successful interaction with a man,” she thought to herself. She stood outside the hall, catching her breath. She was reminded of why she rarely interacted with other authors. There is so much haughtiness, almost across the board.
“Pride and Prejuwitch, eh?” she heard coming from brian j. Pickles’ office.
“They’re smart books,” Pickles shot back defensively. “She’s one of our best-selling authors.”
“I’m sure,” Oliver arrogantly replied. She imagined that even his tweed elbow patches were laughing at her.
She walked down the hall, laughing to herself. With a little bit of distance, she could appreciate that interaction for what it was: a run-in with a self-absorbed jerk. A sexist one, at that. If nothing else, she had a story to tell that night at happy hour.
Nora refused, right then and there, to let this man dictate how she felt about herself and her accomplishments. She loved her books and they were well-loved by her readers. Perhaps she wouldn’t win a Pulitzer, since they likely wouldn’t take kindly to the concept of a deflated balloon sensing the magic within. But does that have to be everyone’s goal? Hadn’t she gotten into writing because it felt good to write something that resonated with people?
One thing was for sure, though: she most certainly would not be picking up a copy of Portman’s Complaint.
As you can see, adding in breatharians, brian j. Pickles, and a Kawhactus proved very fruitful for me today!

What a tour de force this was, Katie! There are so many funny parts I can't possibly quote them all. I do love that your character(s) often take solace in the fact that later they can tell their friends funny stories about how shitty their interactions were with men.
ReplyDeleteI love your narrator's apt observations about sexist bias, and how neatly these are slid into the dialogue, which is as witty as ever. Your dialogue is always so strong.
The inclusion of twitter feuds with Doug Ford was hysterical- I would really love to say to someone I just met- you might recognize me from my recent twitter feud with Doug Ford- and his response is amazing!! Love love love this excerpt.
"I would really love to say to someone I just met- you might recognize me from my recent twitter feud with Doug Ford"
DeleteRight??? 100% agree, except then I would have to be on Twitter.
Completely agree, I couldn't get enough of this excerpt and read it several times to make sure I appreciated every line to its fullest. I don't know how you wrote this in a car! I despair at writing something this great while firmly seated in a chair.You definitely padded your word count effectively with the repeated references to brian j. Pickles - his response to the kawhactus was hilarious. Every part of this was hilarious!!
ReplyDeleteWow Katie! The way you crammed all the day's words into more or less one paragraph was truly a thing of beauty!
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard at all of this, I especially loved- “They’re smart books,” Pickles shot back defensively. Something about good old brian j. Pickles defending Nora was so sweet and funny. The bit about Oliver's elbow patches laughing at her was brilliant.
I've never been more excited to read your full novel!
Katie I laughed about brian j. Pickles for a good 5 minutes before I could even get to the rest of the excerpt. Any guy named b.j. Pickles WOULD be a breatharian. Hahaha “She arched her brow in his direction, hoping he was learning something about sexist bias.” I love Nora already. I did have to look up what a Kawhactus was (and I’m still not entirely sure I understand it) but I appreciated its role in the prickly first meeting of the novel’s second set of Elizabeths/Darcys. This line killed me: “Hi, Oliver. You might know me from my most recent feud with Ontario Premier Doug Ford”. Jane Austen would be so proud. And Kiefer’s back in the narrative! (If not in person, then at least as a mention re: another heated twitter feud.) I was wondering when he’d make his appearance. And oh my god this is my favorite description: “She imagined that even his tweed elbow patches were laughing at her.” The mental image alone is too amazing. I’ve been so excited to get back into cell service to check for a new update and you did not disappoint! Looking forward to the next post! I’m so here for the rival authors P&P story! Also, out of curiosity, do you have any particular actors in mind as reference for the various characters?
ReplyDeleteAgree with Angela, this line is amazing: She arched her brow in his direction, hoping he was learning something about sexist bias.
ReplyDeleteAnd brian j. Pickles getting excited about tasting the air from the kawhactus was hilarious. WHY IS HE PRETENDING?
Love the touch of Nora being slightly embarrassed by her own novels, and then angry at herself for being embarrassed. Isn't that the way??