Introducing Bingley: Day Four, and 8,017 words


This view is what I was enjoying today as I was writing. It's pretty inspirational! Although I have to say that what I wrote today wasn't as inspired as yesterday's writing. My goal was to introduce more characters today, and I did so. I introduced the Bingley character, who is named Noah Williams, and the Jane character, who is Shalini Patel. She is an assistant professor of chemistry at U of T.

Yesterday Manta asked me who I would envision playing these characters in a movie. I'm still not totally sure! I am going to keep thinking about it.

Here is part of the scene where the different new characters come together:
Much to Nora’s chagrin, the subject of their conversation walked in through the door as they were laughing at his expense. He walked in with another man that Nora didn’t know, which wasn’t a surprising development since she didn’t know him at all.

The air that Nora let out as she loudly sighed could have fed brian j. Pickles for a year.

“Is there only one bar in Toronto? What is going on?” Nora complained. She pointed to the two men who had just entered the bar so as to explain to her friends why she was suddenly so agitated. As she did so, the two men saw her. It was embarrassing for Nora, as she had wanted to cultivate an air of disinterest. Pointing at someone and obviously talking about them is not the way to cultivate an air of disinterest.

Nora observed an entire narrative arc of emotions cross over Oliver Goldstein’s face. He seemed surprised to spot Nora, and did an obvious double-take. There was a moment where he was working out in his head where he knew her from. When he realized who she was, there was the internal struggle as to whether or not he should go over and talk to her. It was only polite, he reasoned.

He pointed to her and her friends and said something to his friend, and they began crossing the room towards their table.

Nora was stunned that he even possessed the capacity to be polite.

Oliver Goldstein and his friend were approaching the table with vastly different expressions on their faces. Oliver looked disdainful and slightly embarrassed that he had to see Nora for a second time that day, especially since their first encounter did not go very well. He was holding that same goddamned tweed blazer with elbow patches over his shoulder, and a white V-neck t-shirt, a pair of olive green chinos, and Wayfarer sunglasses on top of his head. Apparently he had only realized recently that July is not the month for tweed blazers. No month was an appropriate one for a tweed blazer with elbow patches, if you had asked Nora. No one had, though.

Nora looked at the second man with interest. He had dark blonde and curly hair that looked about two weeks past the ideal time for a haircut. He was wearing jeans and a navy blue spotted short-sleeve button-up. If you had asked Nora, she would have said that they looked like two pretentious white guys who spend too much money on their clothes. If you had asked anyone else, they likely would have said that they were two attractive young men who took pride in their appearance. Nora just might have been a little prejudiced.

“Nice to see you, Nora,” he said as he stretched out his hand towards her. She accepted it and shook it quickly but forcefully, from her seat.

“Indeed,” she replied, but in a way that she was sure would communicate to him that it wasn’t nice at all to see him. “And just in case you are confused, despite the fact that there are three other women at this table, none of them are assistants.”

Oliver blushed slightly, but was committed maintaining the calm and aloof demeanor that he had worked so hard to cultivate over the years.

“I’m happy to hear it,” he responded. “Well, not happy. Just, uh…” he trailed off.

The second man piped up when it became clear that Oliver was not going to help this social situation along in any way.

“I’m Noah Williams, nice to meet you,” the second man said as he offered his hand to Nora. He shook Nora’s hand and went around to Nora’s three friends, introducing himself and warmly shaking each of their hands. Oliver, true to form, stood back coolly.

Before anyone could stop him, a waiter came over and hurriedly shoved two more menus and two more waters in front of them. It appeared as if this waiter was under the very incorrect assumption that the six of them were somehow friends, and that they would be sitting at the same table because they wanted to spend time together. Nora was ready to disabuse this poor man of this notion, and it appeared as if Oliver was as well.

“We don’t want to intrude on your evening,” Oliver was quick to say, grabbing his friend’s shoulder.

A quick look around the wine bar, however, told all of them that there were no other tables and that the two men would probably have no choice but to stay.

“Please join us,” Nora said through gritted teeth.

Noah slid into the booth beside Shalini on the end, and Oliver had no choice but to sit beside Nora. Zoe and Odette continued talking amongst themselves, now that the group had expanded in a way that made it hard for everyone to hear each other in a loud room.

“How do you two know each other?” Noah said kindly, gesturing towards Nora.

“We share a book agent. We met today, actually,” Nora replied.

“How excellent! You’re an author!” Noah said with very genuine enthusiasm.

“She is,” Shalini added. “And she’s writing a screenplay of one of her books for Columbia!”

“That is incredibly impressive!” Noah said. “What is it about?”

Nora shot Oliver a preemptive glare for how smug she knew he was going to be.

“It’s a book series that is based on Pride and Prejudice, although it takes place at a school of magic,” Nora explained.

“I think that Oliver’s sister reads those books! Don’t you remember her saying something about that, Oliver?”

Oliver offered something that was sort of like a reply, but closer to a grunt.

“I think that she might have said something about that.”

“She said she was looking forward to the movie! Is it true that David Boreanaz is going to play the role of the George Wickham character?” Noah queried.

“That’s the rumour!” Nora responded. “I don’t know if any decisions have been made about casting yet. I think David Boreanaz started the rumour himself, actually. He wanted to get back at Taylor Kitsch, his rival, who was rumoured to be interested in the part.”

Hopefully tomorrow will feel more inspired!

Comments

  1. Haha! I loved this. The mutual disdain was so good, especially since they ended up stuck together. Good thing Noah was there to keep them civil. Your asides of what Nora is thinking of Oliver and his appearance are so great. I've really getting a sense of who Nora is in this section and I love her.

    “That’s the rumour!” Nora responded. “I don’t know if any decisions have been made about casting yet. I think David Boreanaz started the rumour himself, actually. He wanted to get back at Taylor Kitsch, his rival, who was rumoured to be interested in the part.”

    This part was perfect. I love how the phrasing kind of makes it seem like she's reading it off of a gossip site. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is uninspired, then hit me over the head with a deflated balloon. My favourite line was this one: “And just in case you are confused, despite the fact that there are three other women at this table, none of them are assistants.” Sick burn, and I also loved how Oliver responded by saying that he was happy none of them were assistants and then realized that wasn't good either. Perfect all around! And I'm glad that we keep David Boreanaz in the mix, although I have the impression that he became culturally irrelevant some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of the excerpts quoted above, and basically the whole thing! Nora is so comically inept at navigating social situations, and yet makes hilarious comments every time she opens her mouth.
    The David Boreanaz/Taylor Kitsch feud lives on!! One of my favourite details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a long and hellish day of negotiating 4th of July tourist traffic, and I’m finally home and just realized that there would probably be a new post to read! It was exactly the breath of fresh air I needed - and speaking of air, I cackled loudly at: “The air that Nora let out as she loudly sighed could have fed brian j. Pickles for a year.” Also this is such a classic Katie phrasing: “No month was an appropriate one for a tweed blazer with elbow patches, if you had asked Nora. No one had, though.” I feel like I’d recognize this as your handiwork even if I didn’t know you were behind it. I love how awkward these early interactions between William and Nora are! Nora’s zing at William about how none of the women at the table were assistants was great. Ouch. The little detail about William’s sister being a Pride & Prejuwitch fangirl is perfect! You know she’s going to be furious when she finds out her brother knows the author and didn’t immediately introduce the two of them! Hahahaha “I think David Boreanaz started the rumour himself, actually” - DB, desperate isn’t a good look for you! It’s so exciting meeting each of the new characters you introduce! Can’t wait to see what happens in tomorrow’s excerpt(s) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh just wrote a beautiful long comment about how much I loved this and then it got eaten by my computer!
    I loved Nora sighing out enough air to feed brian j. Pickles, and it made me think of the deflated balloon again - I love thinking about the deflated sorting balloon so that was an extra bonus.
    Agree with Manta, amazing decision to have Oliver's little sister be a fan of Nora's books! So does this mean that Oliver was pretending not to know who Nora was, when they met? Or had he just forgotten because those kind of books are beneath him?
    Love meeting the new characters! It seems really complicated for you to remember all the Pride and Prejuwitch characters, AND all the Nora's story characters - good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment