It was very hard to write today after my day off yesterday, which was horrible and entirely spent in the car. I managed to get out another 2,000 words, though! Either tomorrow or Monday I will start drastically cutting down on my daily word count-- likely to 1400 words or so. This is definitely getting hard!
I was having trouble thinking of ways to depart from the traditional Pride and Prejudice story. Well, I certainly came up with one! Here it is:
They were approaching Jackie’s Place, which was very easy to miss and Jackie liked it that way. It was a nondescript brick building with a faded red sign that was barely legible anymore. It may never have been legible, as Nora couldn’t remember a time where it was bright enough to read. There was something that looked like a window, although since it was so caked in dirt that one could not actually see through it, it was testing the boundaries of what actually counts as a window. From the outside, a sign read “This ain’t the Hilton,” making it the least necessary announcement of all time.
Oliver looked at her quizzically as he took in the features of the run-down drinking establishment. Sometimes Nora liked to bring people here to surprise them, but it was always a gamble because Jackie didn’t like surprises himself.
It was clear that a live band was performing inside, although Nora and Oliver couldn’t make out anything except for the loud bass line. As she pulled the heavy wooden door open, the music got louder but also more confusing. Searching around for the cause of all of this noise, she identified what appeared to be two rival bands, who were performing alternating excerpts of songs. The first, Wands and Roses, appeared to be singing an adaptation of “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” but changed to “Sweet Cauldron o’ Mine.” The lead singer was wearing a red bandana as a headband and a wizard’s cloak, and crooning the lyrics to a song about cauldrons:
She’s a cauldron that it seems to me/ Reminds me of wizarding memories/ Where everything was as fresh as the dark night sky/ Now and then when I brew a potion/ The water is deep just like the ocean/ And if I stare too long/ I’ll probably lose an eye/ Woooaaahhhhhhh sweet cauldron o’ mine/ Woah oh ohhhh oh oh/ Sweet love of mine
The guitarist, who was sporting a pointed witch’s hat over his long and curly hair, was shredding his guitar in a way that almost made the song feel like a legitimate rock song.
The other band was led by a man with long wavy hair with a shock of white at the front and several scarves. Nora quickly recognized him as the lead singer of Broken Aero, the Aerosmith cover band that was as close as a house band at Jackie’s Place as it was possible to get. They interrupted Wands N’ Roses with a cover of Aerosmith’s “Let the Music do the Talking,” although they appeared to have changed the lyrics to “Let the Deflated Balloon do the Talking.” She had never written in any lines for the deflated balloon, and she was confident that it did not actually have the capacity to talk. Perhaps by not talking, the balloon was saying more than anyone.
If Nora had suspected before that the musical performance was for her benefit, her suspicions were now confirmed. She wasn’t sure if brian j. Pickles, Jackie, or someone else had arranged this musical tribute to Pride and Prejuwitch before the auditions commenced for the movie adaptation, but she was incredibly touched.
As they booth stood transfixed at the unfolding performance, Nora thought that she heard a voice calling her name. A male voice.
She spun around, trying to find the source of the voice. It was Wynn David.
They had been texting on and off, although Wynn had left town shortly after they had met for a conference in New Jersey so they had not seen each other since the coffee shop. The conference had apparently been quite the event. P.K. Subban had been there, fresh off his signing with the New Jersey Devils. An academic conference had also been happening at the same time, which occasionally got very heated. At one point, after angry words were spoken between two academics, one of them stormed off yelling, “Stop trying to interpellate me!”
Neither Nora or Wynn could figure out what this could possibly mean. But if there was a better way to end an argument, Nora had yet to hear it.
She raised her hand to wave to him, but as she did she observed a change in his face. It darkened. Nora looked around to see what he was looking at that was making him look so put off; she turned around and found that he was looking squarely at Oliver.
Oliver, for his part, was looking back at Wynn in a way that Nora couldn’t entirely place. Was it anger? Shame? Fear? Regardless, she knew immediately that the two had met each other before, and that it had not ended well.
Nora stood in the middle of the two men, none of whom were speaking. She wasn’t sure how to proceed.
“Do… you know each other?” Nora managed to sputter.
Neither man answered. Their jaws were only clenched, as if there was some kind of staring contest. Nora might have found it attractive if she didn’t find it completely unnerving.
“I’m sorry, Nora, I just remembered that I have somewhere to be. My apologies for missing the audition. Good luck with your choice,” Oliver said before practically running off.
She turned to look at Wynn, who was watching Oliver go with a look of loathing.
“What was that?” Nora asked, confused.
Wynn sighed.
“I know that it is kind of weird to say it this way, but Oliver and I used to date.” Noticing the very confused look on Nora’s face, he added, “We are both bisexual.”
Wynn made an excuse to shuffle off soon after, leaving Nora alone in Jackie’s Place.
This was certainly a surprise to Nora. Was Wynn her Wickham? How does bisexuality fit in with Pride and Prejudice? If this was how the story was unfolding, she had no idea what was going to happen next.

KATIE!!!!! I know I just texted you but I want to repeat here how excited I am for this new dimension you’re bringing to the classic P&P story. I wasn’t joking when I said I punched the air and shouted excitedly at learning that the reason behind Wynn and Oliver’s tense meeting was actually the result of a past romantic relationship between the two men! Although real shitty move on Wynn’s part to out Oliver like that without his consent, to someone neither man knows especially well. Classic Wickham in a way, really: spilling other people’s business to a relative stranger without concern for the possible repercussions of revealing those secrets. Even if Oliver’s bisexuality isn’t a secret (just not something he’s chosen to discuss with Nora yet), presumably Wynn knows that Oliver is a more private person. I’m so curious to see where this all goes, and excited for all the storytelling opportunities this twist opens up! As well as the way in which it forces Nora again to confront her expectations/assumptions( dare I say, prejudices?) about her own life following the Austen model.
ReplyDeleteAs for the rest of the excerpt leading up to the reveal of Oliver and Wynn’s past relationship, I loved the musical tribute to Pride & Prejuwitch! I definitely had to sing the lyrics to ‘Sweet Cauldron O’ Mine’ out loud just to see how it sounded (verdict: musical perfection). I was thrilled that the deflated balloon made another appearance here in the form of the other cover song. “Perhaps by not talking, the balloon was saying more than anyone.” I’m crying. That’s so beautiful. And then GASP! Wynn David returns! Fantastic excerpt! Can’t wait for your next post!
Also congrats on being almost halfway done with your word count!
Interesting, Manta, it didn't really bother me to have Wynn 'out' Oliver - I haven't really thought too much about it but I personally wouldn't have a problem with anyone (of any gender) i've been involved with revealing that to someone else. But maybe Oliver is super closeted? Even still... I don't know! Interested to see how these characters all feel about it.
DeleteThank you for sharing your perspective, Indigo! I can’t speak from personal experience here, so can only imagine that in real life a situation like this would vary on a case-by-case basis and along with an individual’s comfort level. Hopefully in this universe and in a big liberal city like Toronto, an interaction like this wouldn’t have any negative ramifications for the person being unintentionally outed. But I was also thinking about people I know who aren’t out in all aspects of their life (at work, or not out to their families), and so being careful not to share information that was told to me in confidence - not wanting to breach their trust or risk their personal information reaching ears for which it wasn’t intended. In this case, Wynn doesn’t know Nora that well, and doesn’t know Nora’s relationship to Oliver, and so potentially he revealed information that Oliver might be uncomfortable with Nora knowing.
DeleteNow, I’m also thinking about this in the context of Oliver not wanting to do press for his book, wanting the book to stand on its own terms, and maybe his sexuality is a detail he doesn’t want brought into the discussion? Unless it IS already part of the discussion? It could be that this is only news to Nora (she hasn’t read his book yet, right?) and a feature of the press surrounding Oliver’s novel is that he is a queer author? Which would add an interesting layer to the conversation he and Nora had earlier about the importance of publicity for authors occupying social and ethnic minority groups (obviously Oliver still has the privilege of being white and a man but he chose not to disclose in that discussion with her that he is also in the LGBTQ+ community). Haha I guess only Katie can answer these questions and I’m so interested to find out more!
yes I'm interested to know more, too! Totally see your point that it basically depends on the details, what kind of information to share about people and in what situation.
DeleteI think I come down on the side of - if I have a relationship with someone, then I get to tell whoever I want about that, in whatever context I want. But then, I can see there are a lot of situations where people play by different rules, for reasons of their own.
What a twist! I'm delighted by every single thing in this excerpt. My only regret is that we have not yet seen the duelling auditions of David Boreanaz and Taylor Kitsch. I was hoping the tensions were going to boil over at Jackie's Place with a sing-off of Dream On between the two, as depicted in the attached image.
ReplyDeleteI was pleased at the inclusion of 'stop trying to interpellate me', but I am left wondering- was Wynn there as an academic? Or a New Jersey Devils fan? I feel this could be an important plot point.
Nice work on creating lyrics to a fictional song- seems like a fantastic way to pad word count and I hope to incorporate this strategy soon.
Loving where you're going... now you're off the beaten path I can't wait to see what other twists you come up with!
That twist! What a great way to mess with the P&P narrative. I'm so excited about where your novel is going this year. Everything in this excerpt is magical.
ReplyDeleteI'm stunned by your lyrics to Sweet Cauldron o'Mine. You've won the award for best song this year for sure.
"The guitarist, who was sporting a pointed witch’s hat over his long and curly hair, was shredding his guitar in a way that almost made the song feel like a legitimate rock song"
This was the most biting line and I loved it. That last line was gutting. Well played.
Lyrics to Sweet Cauldron of Mine were sheer perfection. SHEER. PERFECTION.
ReplyDeleteI love that Nora ends feeling really confused - now that there is a definite break from the P&P plot similarities. Although, when you think about it, the original Wickham and Darcy couldn't have hated each other so much if they hadn't once loved each other... don't you think?
I'm with Indigo - what sweet poetry you weaved with Sweet Cauldron of Mine. I shall always sing it that way. The deflated balloon says so much by saying so little. Definitely one of the all time best characters in the EsNoWriMo universe. When I picture it, I always see the deflated balloon that was taped to the wall at the house I lived in during university. During a particularly terrible heat wave, it actually melted to the wall and we couldn't get it off. So a deflated balloon that has hardened into a sticky mess.
ReplyDelete