Day 17, and 30,607 Words


Today I finally forced myself to write real things. It was great! I am enjoying writing less every day since I built up a cushion in the first part of the month, and it makes it a lot easier to think through what I want to happen and not to write a lengthy discussion of flatbreads instead.

I have attached a very long (sorry!) discussion between Nora and Wynn about what happened with Oliver. Part of it came easily, and part of it was hard. I obviously had to address the fact that two characters that were probably assumed to be straight aren't, but I also didn't want to make a big deal of it. I don't emphasize my straight character's experiences of their sexuality, so I tried to make it sound commonplace. I also really appreciated Indigo's comments earlier in the week about Oliver potentially being outed.

Writing people who are different from me is new! I hope I didn't mess it up or reproduce stereotypes, something I was very conscious of.

“So what happened?” Nora pressed, hoping he would continue.

“We started going out a few weeks before he left, and were long distance for a while. I had been in relationships with both men and women before, but Oliver said I was the first man that he had ever dated seriously. Both of us are attracted to men and women, but I think that Oliver had always assumed that he wouldn’t date men.”

Nora felt weird hearing these intimate details about Oliver’s life. If he somehow knew what was being shared with her, he would likely be uncomfortable about it as well.

“I don’t know Oliver that well,” Nora began. “We share an agent, and we have run into each other a bunch of times because of mutual friends, but not much more. Do you think he would be okay with you sharing this with me?”

“As far as I can tell, the people he is close to—friends, family— know that he is bisexual. He doesn’t seem to identify that way publicly, but I’m not sure how people haven’t figured it out. I mean, have they read Portman’s Complaint?”

“I think people like to say they’ve read Portman’s Complaint, but I’m not sure if they actually do.”

“Well, either way, I certainly wouldn’t mind if he told people these things about me. I’m attracted to men and women. I can see myself being in serious relationships with either, although I have tended to date more women than men. It’s not something I’m ashamed of, or feel the need to keep secret.”

Nora nodded supportively. She didn’t want to make a big deal out of a disclosure like this, to make it seem like it was weird or that he shouldn’t share things like this with her. As much as she was prepared to doubt his account of things, she couldn’t question his sincerity about this.

“From what I saw at Jackie’s Place, unless it was a negative reaction to Wands N’ Roses and Broken Aero—as if a negative reaction to those two is even possible—it doesn’t seem as if things ended amicably between the two of you. After all of this time?” Nora asked.

“Perceptive,” Wynn joked. “Was it him storming off that gave you that idea?”

“Well, yes,” Nora said, getting increasingly uncomfortable. “He mentioned to me on that very day, actually, that a person who he had thought was the love of his life had cheated on him while he was doing his MFA. Was that you?”

Wynn was clearly surprised by her question. His eyes opened a little wider, and he physically leaned back as he took in her words.

“He said that?” He asked, clearly hurt and surprised.

“Well, I guess I’m not totally sure that it’s you,” Nora vacillated, “But… was it?”

He sighed.

“I guess that’s how he sees it.”

“Well how do you see it?”

“Things were going really well between us, until they weren’t. We were writing partners and in love and we had tons of things in common. I tried to go to Iowa City as much as I could, and he came back to Toronto from time to time, but he just ended up becoming consumed with his writing. He would write all night long, stumble into class, and then sleep for the rest of the day only to wake up, make some black coffee, and do it all again. He stopped visiting, and when I would visit there wouldn’t be any time where he wasn’t sleeping or writing. We barely talked about anything that wasn’t what he was writing.”

Nora nodded. She could deeply relate to what he was describing.

“Writing is lonely,” Nora responded. “I know that we ask a lot from the people around us, who have listen to us talk about our failed plots and character frustrations. But at the same time, we also have to come away from our books and meet people in their worlds, too. It doesn’t sound like he was willing to do that. I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry, too. Neither of us were mature enough to admit that our relationship was over. I didn’t realize that he felt that way about me—assuming I’m the person that he was talking about. But yes, I did end up cheating on him. It was what told me that things weren’t working. We broke up very soon after.”

Nora wasn’t sure how to receive this. If what he said was true—and of course, that was a big if—she just couldn’t paint him with a single brush. What he said made sense to her. Was it the perfect way to respond to a difficult relationship ending? No, but why was perfection the bar? Was that the standard to which she herself would want to be held?

She would have loved to have been able to get to know Wynn without this history, and especially without the feeling that he was the villain in the story. Even if she generally didn’t believe in villains.

“I know that these details aren’t flattering,” he continued, as if he could read her mind. “And I am being very serious when I say that I am interested in getting to know you better. I had hoped that you might not know me quite so well this early on, obviously. But I also hadn’t counted on running into you, and seeing Oliver for the first time in nine years.”

“That must have been hard,” she said, honestly.

“Clearly for both of us.”

Of all the things that Nora had expected as she walked into this conversation, this certainly wasn’t it. Why was she so foolish to believe that her life would just unfold like a novel? Where Wynn would lie and say that everything was Oliver’s fault, which she would later find out to be the opposite of what had happened? Wynn admitted that he had cheated on Oliver. He painted a complicated picture where the end of their relationship was, admittedly, more Oliver’s fault, but not exclusively so. It was a far cry from Wynn blaming Oliver for every hardship in his life while he was just an innocent aspiring clergyman.

At the same time, she had to remind herself that she had only heard one side of the story. Would Oliver say the same thing if she asked him? And in what world could she ask him? This whole thing had made her feel like an inappropriate voyeur, looking in on other people’s lives—largely without their knowledge—and judging them.

But what he had said made so much sense to her, in so many ways. She had dated some very ‘serious’ authors before—men who thought that their novel about coming of age as a white guy was the most important thing in the world and every sentence that they would say would start with “Today while I was writing…” or “My character is authentic because…” They never asked about her writing, never offered read a draft of her manuscript, and never seemed to introduce her as an author at parties. It always made her feel like she was a supporting character in the novel that he was writing in his own life. The one who provides endless support but doesn’t seem to need much support back, because whatever she is doing with her own life just isn’t in the frame.

Of course, these men tended to not have very many characters in their own writing who were women, and when they did write women, there would be more sentences describing her perfect appearance than things that she herself would say. The world that they lived in was a lot like that, too. Of the top one hundred U.S. films in 2017, women accounted for only 34 percent of all speaking characters and only 24 percent of protagonists. It’s also well known that men speak 70 percent of the time in mixed gender groups, yet are still more likely to believe that women are talking more. Women are rarely viewed as among the most powerful, influential, or relevant speakers. Their introduction of topics, or attempts to shift conversation, are frequently ignored. And their speech is routinely interrupted. This was the culture where the men that she had dated had grown up. As much as each one had liked to think that it didn’t apply to him, it invariably did.

She wondered, though, if she really should apply her own experiences to what Wynn had described. They were two men in a relationship, after all, not men projecting all of their desires and needs onto the women that they were with. Perhaps thoughtlessness can sometimes coincide with routinely ignoring the needs and experiences of women in particular, but sometimes it is also just thoughtlessness. Maybe it was just her own bias that was leading her to see it that way.

Was it weird that Nora pondered so many statistics about sexist bias on a regular basis? “Probably,” she thought. The only thing that she felt she had in common with Elizabeth Bennet at this point was that she was more confused than ever.

Comments

  1. I love how you are tackling complexities in the storyline- while P&P might seem formulaic to us now, Elizabeth's character is just as confused and uncertain as Nora is in this scene. Heather has mentioned Nora's self-awareness before, and it is such an important part of what is happening here for her- the world as she knew it, according to her own internal biases, is being shaken up and she has to start to see things differently.
    What happens when the formula doesn't apply? I am so curious to see what happens next, and WHAT IS HAPPENING IN PRIDE AND PREJUWITCH??? How will Nora take these insights into the adaptation of her own work???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! This is magnificent. Your characters are really coming to life. I'm feeling so much for all of them in this conversation. It's so complicated and real. Nora's confusion is so relatable, especially with only getting one side of a really complex story. I loved your section at the end with her thinking through how none of the men she has ever dated have been able to escape the sexist mindset of the world they life in and how the situation with Wynn and Oliver doesn't fall into that same pattern. Also love anyone taking down the white male coming of age novel- hate them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First things first: you never have to apologize for the length of the posts on your own blog! I think I can speak for all of your readers when I say that a) we love it, and b) it's your own fucking blog and we can just fuck off if we don't like it!
    I love that you included as much as you did because there is just so much going on here! I don't think you treated people as stereotypes at all. All the people involved here are very human, and complex, and confusing, and confused.
    Nora is feeling so human right now. Not sure how she feels, not sure what she wants, super conflicted! You are doing a great job of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a really great piece of writing here. It is wonderfully written and your characters are coming to life in such unexpected ways. Its amazing how you can use the backdrop of bizarre and two overlapping P&P stories to create a complex and human experience. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooo! Over 30,000 words! Also, I’m excited there are plot things happening but you know we are all here for lengthy discussions of flatbread as well! This excerpt was fantastic! I really liked the thoughtful way you addressed things here in the conversation between Nora and Wynn: it definitely makes sense that Wynn is perfectly within his right to share details about a past relationship. Also that’s a good point you made about treating his bisexuality as commonplace since you haven’t gone out of your way elsewhere to define other characters as heterosexual (I’m recalling a cute montage from the movie “Love, Simon” that imagines all the straight characters coming out to their families as straight, instead of the onus just being on queer people to come out). Just as it’s a good reminder for Nora, it’s a reminder for us readers too, to not just assume default straight white characters if no sexuality or race is mentioned. For all that this new variation of the Darcy-Wickham relationship is something Jane Austen probably couldn’t have imagined, it still captures the same feeling of the complicated past relationship between the two; as Indigo pointed out in the comments on that initial reveal post, Darcy and Wickham probably wouldn’t have hated each other so much if there hadn’t once been love there (I concur!)

    Hahahaha: “I think people like to say they’ve read Portman’s Complaint, but I’m not sure if they actually do.”

    I think the picture that you painted here of this relationship feels very true; like Nora, we’re only hearing one side of the story, but it sounds like both parties didn’t handle things as well as they could have. Oliver could have ended the relationship when his MFA took over his life and he didn’t have the time or energy to devote to a partner, and Wynn could have ended things before he cheated on Oliver. But the fact that Wynn is telling Nora all this up front is a good sign that he’s not trying to hide his true character - that he can admit his infidelity that was precipitated by feeling ignored by his boyfriend. I guess I would also want to hear about the relationship from Oliver’s perspective, but does Nora really *need* to? Aside from Nora’s thinking that Wynn is a Wickham type, she doesn’t actually have a reason to think he isn’t telling her the truth, and based on personality alone she seems to like him more than she likes Oliver, and only recently has been cutting Oliver some slack because he seems to fit the Darcy type. By sticking too rigidly to her prejudices borne from a hundreds of years old novel Nora could potentially be cutting off a relationship/friendship before it really has the chance to begin. This is such a tricky conundrum that you’ve put this character in by giving her the self-awareness of the part she’s playing.

    It was really enlightening learning more about Nora’s past as well here. She can sympathize and connect with Wynn having also been the other half of a relationship with serious writer men who couldn’t see beyond their own serious novels; “It always made her feel like she was a supporting character in the novel that he was writing in his own life.” I learned so many interesting (terrible) statistics in Nora’s musings about the culture that creates these serious male writers and contributes to their treatment of both the women they write and the real ones in their lives - none of the facts surprising but seeing the number breakdowns is very disheartening. I’m so intrigued to see what Nora does now that she knows all this information. Regardless of how Wynn fits or rejects her Wickham expectations, is she interested in dating him? Looking forward to seeing where this is all going! Even though we have the framework of P&P for inspiration, I feel just as unmoored as Nora not knowing which plot expectations will be met or subverted! Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment