It was a struggle to get my writing done today in between getting ready to leave on our trip tomorrow, but I just did it! I'm almost a quarter of the way through. Holy crap.
Since some interest was expressed in hearing from the panel, I've included the very Pride and Prejudice-esque scene here. All of the discussion of Persuasion was ripped from Wikipedia, since I definitely don't have time for that kind of thinking.
Isla turned the lights back on as the Persuasion end credits rolled across the screen. Persuasion, Jane Austen’s last novel which was published posthumously, tells the story of Anne Elliot, an aspiring spinster at 27 years old. Seven years prior to the story, Miss Elliot had been engaged to Navy Captain Frederick Wentworth, but had been “persuaded” by her friends and family to break off the engagement because he was not deemed to be a suitable partner. The two, both single and unattached, meet again, setting the scene for many humorous encounters as well as a second, well-considered chance at love and marriage for Anne in her second “bloom.” The story deals with love, forgiveness, and women’s obligations in a society that often left them few choices but many people who were trying to “persuade” them to make choices that were often better for others than the women themselves.
The three panelists made their way to the front of the room, while Isla took out her notes. Theo made sure to cast a disapproving look towards Dwayne, who appeared to have hit the tea a little hard and was sleeping on Mary’s shoulder.
Isla rolled her eyes.
“I thought that we could start with reflections on the film from the three panelists, and then move into some prepared questions. Then I’ll open it up to the audience. Sound good?” Isla said, smoothing her navy button-front cotton poplin dress.
Everyone nodded in agreement.
“There's a wonderful, unhurried delicacy about this adaptation of Persuasion,” Caroline offered, “as if everyone concerned with the production knows that, if given time and patience, Austen's genius will emerge. Thanks to assured performances, exacting direction and, of course, inspired writing, it does, in subtle, glorious ways.”
This reflection earned nods from around the room.
“I agree,” Alicia added. “Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility adaptations get all the attention, but I find this to be a more authentic and thoughtful representation of Austen's world.”
This conversation really couldn’t have been going better, Isla thought to herself. She felt like she was back in a university seminar.
Everyone turned to look at Theo, waiting for his initial thoughts.
“I can’t say that I’m a big Austen fan,” he began, earning him a loud round of boos from the room, including from Alicia and Caroline. That tea appeared to have really done its job.
Of course he didn’t like Austen. Men like him, or at least like how he seemed to be, never really did.
Theo continued, “The film depicts, dare I say, a prototype of the postmodern family,” Theo began, snootily. Since Isla hadn’t heard him speak before, this was the first time that she noted his British accent.
“Do you need to dare to say it?” Caroline asked jokingly. Snickers were heard throughout the room.
Theo blushed slightly, but continued. “Anne’s mother is dead, her father is bankrupt, and the old social orders are breaking down, paving the way for something of a meritocracy in what had previously been an incredibly rigid British class system.”
Everyone sat silently for a second, not sure how to respond.
“I appreciated the attention to the Napoleonic Wars. I wish there had been more focus on that,” Theo concluded.
“Of course, you do,” Alicia joked. “But then wouldn’t it have been an entirely different movie?”
Theo shrugged and stopped talking.
The conversation flowed easily from there. They discussed the fact that the actors were not wearing make-up and were prevented from looking too hygienic, in an effort to make the film less polished and more true to the time period. Apparently they had also filmed two endings: one where Anne and Wentworth kiss, for sex-crazed American audiences, and one where they do not, for uptight British audiences. The room was split on which ending would be better. The panelists had interesting insights into what it is like to film on location, and the pressures of adapting beloved source material. Theo was largely quiet, although he had some interesting insights being in a period drama as well as into British society and the context of both Austen’s era and the time when the film was made.
It was a lovely afternoon that went long beyond the scheduled limit. Isla felt proud of herself that she had planned and executed such a smart and entertaining event, complete with local celebrities.
As everyone was leaving, thanking Isla for hosting such a wonderful event and expressing hope that another would happen soon, Isla was smiling proudly. That is, until she overheard something that she definitely wished she hadn’t overheard.
“Well that crowd was a lost cause,” Theo remarked to Caroline and Alicia, somehow believing that the air was so thick in the bed and breakfast that his voice would somehow not carry over to her.
“They didn’t even appreciate my discussion of theatrical liminality,” he continued.
“No one would,” Isla thought to herself bitterly.
As the group walked further away, she couldn’t hear how the conversation progressed. She was sure that she didn’t want to. She was reminded of the famous scene in Pride and Prejudice when Mr. Darcy comments to his friend Mr. Bingley that the women at the ball aren’t attractive, and that Elizabeth Bennet in particular was not worth dancing with. It was a natural association, since the Regency Movie Club watched Pride and Prejudice adaptations quite often. Theo might as well have described Mary as “not handsome enough to tempt me.”
Sometimes, first impressions are completely right. Isla had immediately perceived Theo Evans to be a jerk and he had shown her in every way her impression was correct. “Some things are best left behind,” she thought to herself, as she hoped that she wouldn’t see him ever again.
Meanwhile, things are starting to get even more zany for Abigail. In a chapter called "Welcome to the Space James," I decided that she will meet Fernando Torres because he is filming Space Jam: Futbolista at an adjacent studio. I'm excited to get started on that tomorrow!

You're killing it!
ReplyDeleteThis section was so charming. Isla may be less zany than Abigail but she’s no less enjoyable to read about. I hope for her sake that she doesn't have to see Theo again but knowing you, I have the feeling that we're in for another encounter soon.
I have no idea how you pulled off this brilliant writing (mixed in with brilliant cutting and pasting) on such a difficult day of drama, packing and parenting. But you absolutely nailed it. And great use of the "best left behind" line. I totally agree with Heather - I adore the Dawson's Creek: Legacy" scripts and think they are the best, but then I read about Isla's zany club and I love that just as much.
ReplyDeleteI loved the in-depth discussion of Persuasion and the adaptation. I'm a huge fan of Isla and her events! And also excited for some zaniness with Fernando Torres - that's a name I haven't heard in a while!
ReplyDeleteLove this! I agree with all of the above comments. I would love to attend one of these events, and not just for the boozy tea! I laughed out loud at this line for some reason: "This conversation really couldn’t have been going better, Isla thought to herself. She felt like she was back in a university seminar." Perhaps because that is not how I ever would have described a university seminar.
ReplyDeleteAnd hahahaha Theo not understanding that people might not appreciate his discussion of theatrical liminality- THAT sounds more like the university seminars I attended.
I can't wait for Fernando Torres and Space Jam: Futbolista- inspired!!
Hahahaha everyone booing Theo. “Do you need to dare to say it?” Perfect. No one needs to focus more on the Napoleonic Wars! Nonetheless this sounded like a very interesting conversation. I didn’t know that about the two filmed endings, but you obviously have to accommodate those uptight Brits! Poor Dwayne, hitting that tea a little too hard. I’m choosing to imagine this Dwayne as Dwayne the Rock Johnson because that’s a delightful visual.
ReplyDeleteUm, wow, I never knew how much I wanted to “see” Fernando Torres in a Space Jam until now!