Day 12: 24,001 words

 


I'm almost at the half way point of my novel-- hard to believe! Maybe it's because I was working all week and trying to novel at the same time, but I didn't really love much of what I wrote this week. I would love some guidance about where I might take things.

Right now, there was just a fifth fire, and it was across the street from Jackie's Place. It happened while Scottie and Jake were at Jackie's Place, and they were talking with Jackie about the fires. 

The fire chief, Parlo Pettipiece, had met at Jackie's Place with a mysterious man whose identity is unknown to Scottie. The mystery man left as soon as Scottie identified herself as a reporter. Parlo (who is Parm Pettipiece's cousin) was clearly frightened by the situation. He told Scottie to stay away from the case. 

Things are still weird at her work. I've alluded to a cheese shop opening up in Wortley Village, but I haven't done anything with that. I want to tie a lot of things together: Cody Simpson, the dolphin kazoo, etc. I would love some ideas!

Comments

  1. A conspiracy? The owners of the Star are paying someone to set the fires to drum up readership?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends where you want to go with things. Serious mystery novel? Wild wide through EsNoWriMo lore? I'm more of an expert in the latter, so I can make a few suggestions in that direction. Do we know who the owner of the Cheese shop is? Are they in a conspiracy with the Star and the Police etc... to destroy other Wortley Village Businesses in order to have his own be more successful? As we all know, Afrim Pristine - Maitre Fromagier, if you will - is from Toronto. Just like the Toronto Star. Did he open the cheese shop? Lots of easy word count there, with just an internet search and reading a few articles about Afrim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or - who is that real estate developer in London that buys up everything? Does he want to gentrify (the already gentrified) the area? Farhi? Is he actually Cody Simpson, just under a code name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. AI said this: Arsonists may target businesses in quaint neighborhoods for various reasons, including profit, revenge, or a desire for excitement. Sometimes, it's a misguided attempt to conceal another crime. In some cases, the firesetting may be an act of vandalism or even terrorism.” I like the idea of the fire concealing another crime. Perhaps the kazoo is the clue to the real crime? AI came up with nothing in terms of how a dolphin kazoo can be used in a criminal conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's not forget about James Mirtle's obsession with taking Jake down via unflattering photos. We have two pro-ish athletes Cody Simpson and Jake, with a strange criminal conspiracy to rob them of their dreams. That sounds like revenge to me. One of your characters is a powerful enemy from both Jake and Cody's past. They have had plastic surgery and changed their look. The kazoo conceals other information. Since it can't really exist, it must have been 3D printed. Only someone familiar with Foucauldian Discourse Analysis Aid kits would recognize that the kazoo didn't belong, so someone from the firefighting service was expected to pick up the clue, retrieve the hidden information from the kazoo (3D printed on the inside in coded language? A concealed thumb drive?) OR its presence is just an indication to move to the next phase of the conspiracy. Which is to murder Cody Simpson and Jake Kneiss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment